cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages require a "1" preifx for numbers not in contacts

BigBen121
Advocate

Recently I upgraded my Iphone XS to an esim as my Telus number. I now have a dual sim with a Telus number as my primary number and a UK phone on a physical sim for when we can travel again.  Recently I had to text a local number not in my contacts but it did not go through - I had to add the "1' prefix.

I have noticed that text coming from numbers not in my contacts also have a "1' prefix. Is this something to do with my dual sim or some other changes with the Telus network?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It works best to put all of your contact phone numbers in what's called E.164 format.  For UK numbers, it would be +44 and then the number (without the leading 0).  For Canada/US it would be +1 area code and number.  In contacts, expand the telephone number field and choose the country, this will do the "plus" and country code.  In this way, calling to your contacts will work regardless of whish sim you are using and which area you are calling to/from.  You will have to ensure you are cognizant of which calls you pay long distance for.  This absolutely, positively has nothing to do with an e-sim versus a physical one.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Likely due to the UK SIM. It is very possible that other countries have a 10 digit phone numbering system, so the country code becomes necessary.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks for the reply -- when I removed the UK Sim, the issue still happened. In addition I have a relative in BC who has an iphone and no UK sim and is seeing something similar - weird

It works best to put all of your contact phone numbers in what's called E.164 format.  For UK numbers, it would be +44 and then the number (without the leading 0).  For Canada/US it would be +1 area code and number.  In contacts, expand the telephone number field and choose the country, this will do the "plus" and country code.  In this way, calling to your contacts will work regardless of whish sim you are using and which area you are calling to/from.  You will have to ensure you are cognizant of which calls you pay long distance for.  This absolutely, positively has nothing to do with an e-sim versus a physical one.

Thanks @BillTelusCust   I am not sure what you mean by "In  contacts, expand the telephone number field and choose the country, this will do the "plus" and country code." All I can do on my iphone is edit the phone number I do not see away of expanding the field and selecting a country

When you send a text, enter the number by entering the Plus sign then the country code, then the number (and do not ever use the leading zero used in many countries).  You'll find that works universally.  Do this whether you are putting someone in contacts or sending a text. This is a universal number format which works anywhere on the cell phone, regardless of where you are.