cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus home wifi extremely unreliable and weak.

Toki1
Neighbour

Hello, 

I have turned to here because attempting to get proper help from Telus Support/Customer Service serves no purpose. 

My family has been with Telus for years, somehow they are the best ones around. However with Fiber optic and updated wifi boxes, booster boxes, and multiple resets/tests running the wifi is extremely unreliable. It slows down drastically, stops working, turns on/off by itself, and most importantly Telus say's it has a high rate of speed 500 MB/s + but I believe it's pure fraud. No one in my family has old technology expect for the living room PS4, so it cannot be blamed on bad/old  devices. These devices connected to the home wifi can barely run google sometimes. It is unable to load even emails and regular quick actions such as weather. It isn't a one time issue, it happens and happens until wifi becomes unusable and I have to deal with the problematic Telus support. They literally never do anything, waste 1 hour, and then say the solution is to pay for a "better" plan, only $100+ a month. 

We went through that process of "upgrading" until we realized it's a scam and it's the same wifi. 

What is interesting is that the Telus speed check app say's a high rate 500 mb/s +, but when you do it on different apps or even playstation test wifi speeds it comes back at 10-15 mb/s. And it sure does feel that way. I mean my 2023 Macbook Pro struggling to load google on home wifi is real embarrassing when free public wifi is faster. 

Does anyone else experience the same issues with home wifi slowing down a lot? 

Is there any better providers or plans with other companies? 

Is there a way to get real help from Telus?

6 REPLIES 6

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

It sounds like the issues you are experiencing are related to wi-fi. There are many factors that can affect the performance over wi-fi.

This may be useful:

Understanding and optimizing your Wi-Fi | TELUS Support

If you continue to have issues you may need to add additional wi-fi access points to improve speed/coverage.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Hey @Toki1 - Can you go to fast.com and post a screenshot of the result you receive? Like Fuzzy was mentioning, you might have an issue with the Wi-Fi network but we need to know where you are at so we know if we are helping or making things worse.

As always, you can try a wired speed test as well so we know that you are getting your full speed to the modem

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Shelley99
Organizer

Oh my, you are right on the money. First off, yeah, don’t call Telus, I’ve spend tens of hours on the phone with them trying to get things straight, &….they are TERRIBLE. Long wait times, inept or highly ESL agents, who LIE to you & you end up calling back. I still have a PVR issue that I can’t bring myself to spend the time, effort & put me in a major bad mood by calling them. They have gone from the best…to the worst…customer service. That being said, we got WiFi plus about 4-5 months ago & I swear it is glitchier than the previous hi speed Telus Wifi. As I type this, it is glitching in & off. It’s driving me INSANE as I am so tired of trouble-shooting tech, particularly Telus. We have friends & family who commiserate with us, they HATE calling Telus & constantly have tech Telus issues. We’ve been with them for years, we have multiple Telus tech products & we just don’t know what the answer is. Hugely frustrating.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We’re sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been experiencing. Your feedback is important, and we apologize for the frustration and inconvenience caused by our service and support. Please send us a private message so we can review your account and address the issues directly. 

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Thanks so much. I’m not holding out any hope, sorry, I’ve spent probably 20+ hours on the phone resolving these ongoing issues with our security system and our billing issues, and eventually (and unfortunately) ended up sending 2 letters, 6 months apart, to your CEO Darren Entwistle to get help.

Here’s where we are currently. For this latest WiFi issue, we rebooted our WiFi and so far, so good. However……

About 2 months ago one of our two PVR’s wouldn’t work. After trouble-shooting, turning off and on, and pairing….I called Telus, they went through a variety of steps over 30 mins and they finally gave up and said they would send me a new PVR unit.

They said they would send 2 units, when I asked why, he said so that I’d have a spare if our other PVR went out. I pushed back because that didn’t sound right and I was worried I’d be charged for them, or…..have yet “another” long involved phone call to correct that.

The PVR’s never arrived. A month later I tried our wonky PVR, and lo and behold, it works just fine now.

A week ago we got a call from our doctor’s office - a nurse’s grandmother had received a package with our name on it, she recognized the name as we are their patients, so she took the package, held it and called us. When we stopped by the clinic to pick it up, you guessed it. The Telus PVR’s with an address of 860-7th Avenue on it.

We’ve been Telus customers for 15 years….our mailing address is [redacted], Hope, and our physical address is [redacted]. It’s never changed. I checked our account inline and the address displayed is accurate. So…..where the heck they got that address from is just baffling.

So I’ve kept the PVR’s. Why? 3 reasons.

1) I keep a close eye on my bills, I’ve had many issues of Telus charging for things that are inaccurate (one bill they added $1,200) - sometimes it is for equipment I long returned. So I don’t want to return these PVR’s as I will lose leverage if they suddenly add this onto my account. You will see my account for the past few months has credits on it…..that’s why; all the incorrect charges and then reversals after hours of phone calls/investigating.

2) If that PVR goes out again……I won’t have to wait for another (that may never show because it was sent to some obscure address).

3) I am so sick and tired of spending so many frustrating hours on the phone with Telus, I just can’t bring myself to call them again.

So….I have your 2 PVR’s, my account as of today is fine, the bad PVR is still working, and we were able to get our WiFi working.

Sorry for the long story (there’s a lot more detail about all of the issues that I could add but I won’t waste your time). I might mention that the ESL agents often lie to you. For example; oh yes Miss Shelley, it is all fixed up or I’ve taken care of everything or no you won’t be charged. And then you go online, check your account, and it’s all messed up.

Many of my friends and family have ingoing issues with Telus as well. It’s become a conversation piece.

Anyhow - thanks so much for your response.

Shelley [redacted]

[mod edits: removed personal info]

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Thank you for sharing this feedback and I'm glad to hear that things are relatively stable. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need assistance and we are sorry to hear that you've been through a lot trying to sort out your PVR situation