cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus TV-21T Quality of HD channels

ShawnTheSheep
Organizer
Hey guys,

Since Optik-Kate and others are giving timelines on when things are being updated. Just wondering if there is a timeline on fixing the poor bitrate of regular hd channels? Watching sports on the box is unbearable. Quality is way worse than the old 4K Wireless boxes. There's a lot of posts on here about it. Old posts show that they are 720p only. Pretty dissapointing to see the Sportsnet app doing a better job than a cable product.

For all the sports fans on here this should be a priority.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @ShawnTheSheep, we have several updates in the coming quarters to try to improve picture quality. There is a firmware update coming near the end of Q1, and there will be structural improvements on the backend throughout the rest of the year. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @ShawnTheSheep, we have several updates in the coming quarters to try to improve picture quality. There is a firmware update coming near the end of Q1, and there will be structural improvements on the backend throughout the rest of the year. 

Thank you. Makes me excited.

Hi Kate:
Any update on fixes for the poor HD quality on Telus TV (Android box)?
I just moved from Shaw after almost 30 years, and I’m regretting it so far.
And the NHL playoffs are coming and I’m watching like it is SD.
Please advise.

Hi @Richardkm, the firmware update hasn't happened yet. It was unfortunately delayed and going through testing. That said, things like improving picture quality is a huge undertaking that requires structural changes, thank you for your patience while we work on improving the experience. 

Hi Team is there any updates? I’ve got the new android box and watching the playoffs right now, the 4K content is terrible. The HD content is also sub par compared to what I used to have with Novus, and in comparison to what some of my neighbours get with the older gear. I’d also like to know when you’re going to bring 4K channels to the apple ecosystem. Right now if I record something in 4K, the cloud PVR only allows me to watch it on the android box, there’s no other way to watch what I’ve recorded, despite being able to do this with normal HD channels. It’s not a very good user experience.. any updates TELUS team?

Hi Optic-Kate & @smurray5  any news on the firmware update for this Android TV-21T box? Football season is coming, and the quality of the box still sucks. 

Also, now one of my boxes cannot connect to Wi-Fi - it's in the same room as the modem, but won't recognize the wifi signal...

Hi @Richardkm  I don't have an update regarding a firmware update but I will send you a message regarding your issue with the TV box.

- Eric

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Richardkm
Neighbour

Thanks,  Kate, for the update. 

I understand that improving picture quality is a "huge undertaking", however it seems that this is issue is poor product design and product decisions by your vendor and his firmware team. Having the Android box continuously on HDR (which is optimized for 4K) when 99% of the TELUS TV programming deliverables are regular HD and thus badly displayed, seem to be nonsensical and bad design. 

Pls let me know when this is improved - in the meantime, I found out that if I stream from my Sportsnet+ App via Airplay to my LG TV, I can get actual HD resolution for Canucks games. 

By the way, when I cast to the Telus Box via Chromecast, I only get 1/4 of a screen. Seems to be another bug. 

Richard

Gadzuk
Organizer

Thanks for this thread @ShawnTheSheep .  I just received and installed the new Android 21T STB to replace my former Arris Optik boxes, truly awful.  

@Optik-Kate I'm told that I have 2 weeks to return my older Optik 4k boxes.  Can that be extended until Telus fixes this problem?  My alternative is to cancel Telus and call Shaw.

@Gadzuk I would contact our technical support team for clarification of the return process, as well as letting them know about the reason you don't want to return your 4K boxes. This will allow our teams to gather more information and to speed things along

Thanks Eric,

I did that on Sunday and they've made the arrangements for me to keep my "legacy" 4k boxes, and return the new ones.  

I really like where the new product is going so I'll keep an eye on these threads for a timing commitment or release of a product with at least 1080p / HDR functionality.   

720p is so 1998!! 😉

Peter

I definitely hear you and I can attest to the fact that our internal teams are working to make the product better! 

Thank you for the update!

I’ve heard that Telus is planning to move all Optik customers off legacy hardware by October 2024.  Given the problems (picture resolution and colour) with the new Android boxes can you confirm if this is still the case or if there’s a revised timeline to move customers off legacy boxes (which don’t have these problems)?

I just renewed a 2-year deal with Telus and I asked about having to replace my Optik 4K box. I was told as long as it worked and I wanted to keep using it then I could keep it. Now I know that policies constantly change but I'm hoping this one doesn't for awhile. 

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @smurray5 nothing that we can share in terms of timelines here, but of course any announcements will always be made well in advance and on as many of our communication channels as possible.

JQ2
Neighbour

bump ... any movement on resolving these resolution issues? Hockey is done (the quality was terrible through playoffs). Still see the same issues watching other sports. Starting to regret switching from Shaw.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Our team is definitely working on picture quality as a priority, and while we don't have updates to share here at this moment, there are updates planned to address this as soon as possible.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

Switched from Shaw after many years and regretting it as well.  Android box is low resolution today and I’d have better picture quality on an old CRT tv…

Would best for Telus to start fixing this issue SOON before losing a bunch of customers.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

We're sorry to hear about your experience. We appreciate your patience and hope to have a resolution soon.

Canucks
Organizer

Keen to hear any updates, Sunday night live feed of the Olympics on SportsNet 4K was crazy bad. CBC even worse. However seemed way better since so not sure if you guys have done something.