Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS TV Feature Updates - Ongoing

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Dear Neighbours, 

We’re experimenting with different formats to assure you we’re listening and working on improvements to the TELUS TV platforms. We have frequent releases designed to tackle the platform's immediate and long-term stability, and we’ll do our best to keep this thread up to date with each new release to celebrate our wins together.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list; minor customer-facing fixes and non-customer-facing backend work are not included. 

Q2 2024:

• Recording improvements: 
    • Eliminated the skipping of the first episode when scheduling recording series
    • Reduction of removed recordings due to metadata inconsistencies
    • Series schedule will remain in the recording manager after a season ends
  • Launch of Free Ad-Supported Streaming Channels so you can watch them anytime, anywhere, without a subscription
  • Apple TV interface redesign for better navigation
  • Custom date/time picker on Android mobile guide
  • Remove content from the resume lane by press & hold (long press) on items in the lane

Q1 2024:

• Recording improvements: Series recording on news-related programs
  • Guide filter selection such as “my favourite channel” remains after turning the TV off and on
  • Search results are now expanded to include third-party streaming apps availability in the program detail page
  • Optimized search functionality via content type and cast member names
  • Default focus on home - requiring only one click of the “back” button to return to the last watched stream
  • User experience and design improvement on Apple TV and iOS

Q4 2023:

• Additional 4K channels on the TELUS TV Digital Box and Android TV devices 
  • New and Live tags in the TV Guide
  • Increased Cloud Recording duration to 90 days
  • Pay Per View events are now available for purchase
  • Recording improvements 
    • Unviewable recordings can now be deleted
    • The recordings manager now shows the newest recordings first
    • Bug fixes related to recordings going missing
    • Bug fixes for sports recording auto-extension 
  • Surround Sound is now available
  • Dismissing the “next episode” prompt is now working correctly

Q3 2023

• Chromecast - cast from TELUS TV+ mobile app to Chromecast-enabled receivers
  • Game Zone - a dedicated zone on the Telus TV Digital Box with over 180 free and simple-to-play games using your mobile device as the controller 
  • Resume from your Apps row on the home screen to resume shows from Disney+, Apple TV+, Prime Video and more

Q2 2023 

• Playback Performance Toggle - A new option in the Settings menu aimed at improving video playback on older Android devices (mobile/tablet).
  • Pause Live TV for up to 15 minutes on the TELUS TV Digital Box and TELUS TV+ app
  • Restart a show from the beginning that aired up to 30 hours in the past
  • Profile improvements
    • Recordings only show in individual profiles
    • ‘Recommended for you’ personalized by profile
    • ‘Favourite channels’ and ‘Favourite movies & series’ by profile
  • Live Sports recordings are automatically extended; 90 minutes for tennis & 60 minutes for all other sports

Regards,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood TV Product Development Team.

164 REPLIES 164

Rocky3
Rockstar

My current TV has a built in turn off after 4 hours have passed with no interaction. Unlike others it does not bother me. 

Did not know Telus box also has a time out.

RCrow
Neighbour
Please add standard IR remote codes so universal remotes can be used. In our house with one person with a disability having only one remote is really frustrating.

Rocky3
Rockstar

@Optik-Kate 

Hi Kate. Have you abandoned us? Where is the Q2 report. I am waiting as well for the July update promised to fix many issues. 

Dave68
Friendly Neighbour

When are more updates coming out? Looking forward to more exciting features!

Rocky3
Rockstar

Has the July update occurred?

Grimmt
Advocate

What is the version number for the Q2-2024 update?

The original post was updated on Tuesday, July 30th, with the new version info, and It's now Monday, Aug 5th and I'm sitting at version 1.24.6_900, on both of my T21 boxes.  Isn't this the Q1 update?

Is there a reason for the delay in transmitting the update?

This isn’t at all helpful, but one can only assume they gave up on the platform, much like I did. Such a frustrating experience with TELUS and their Self-Install TV product. 

Yes you are showing the January update.

Crickets on the promised July update. 

Actually later this week I will see if there is a manual update to check for it. I know originally I was talked thru the update as the original shipped 21T was not auto updating. I forget if January came in on its own.

In another thread started by @Rocky3, Telus Support responded with a brief description of the version numbering.

It appears that 1.24.6_900 is the latest version (i.e. Q2).  The "24.6" represents YY.M  [not sure why they don't use YY.MM for sorting purposes] and, I'm guessing, the "_900" is likely the build number.

Edit: updated Rocky3 reference to a link

Pattydee3
Organizer

Is there an update on the following features, which I believe are being worked on?

1. Ability to delete multiple recording at a time. For instance on Shaw/Rogers you can delete all episodes in a series, or delete all and cancel future recordings.

2. Ability to disable and/or skip the Home menu and go directly to the guide. 

3. Ability to exit all menus at once rather than press the back button multiple times. 

Myoptic1
Neighbour

There appears to be two reported completed items that are not correct at least with my setup as follows:

(1) The message in Q2 2024 the problem with recording is completed:

• Eliminated the skipping of the first episode when scheduling recording series

This problem still exists with our Android TV setup.  It is very aggravating as it erodes user confidence in the entire recording reliability. We basically have to re-examine the scheduled recordings every day so we do not miss any of our  desired recordings.

(2) Likewise the Q1 2024 completion of "Favorites" problem is not the case in our system:

• Guide filter selection such as “My Favorite channel” remains after turning the TV off and on

There was no problem with "My Favorites" changing when we first got the system.

However, it now changes to "Subscribed" for no reason while watching the TV. It does not have to be turned OFF and then turned ON to occur.

Hope there are some existing solutions or the need is recognized in future software development.

assia
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Myoptic1, we would like to troubleshoot the skipped episode issues you are still experiencing to determine whether the fix is not taking effect or another problem is being manifested. I have reached out to you with a direct message. 

Telus:

We would appreciate the opportunity to cooperate with you to troubleshoot the recording problem.

Thanks
Cameron Palmer

Rocky3
Rockstar

Q2 is launched? Then why is there no difference, and why did we lose the gains of the January release?

hansolo
Neighbour

New customer here, may not have me for long. Netflix and other apps look as they should, 4K, UHD, the remote is a really nice, but your main player - Telus TV+ is simply awful. How are we getting picture quality like this in 2024? Everyone in our household thinks it looks pixelated. Text on screen during news or sports is all bitty, was crisp before. Picture is also washed out. I have top tier TVs and a home cinema set up. I feel like I've taken a huge leap backwards. 

Picture should be there number one issue I know they acknowledged hdr always being on but they should also be fixing the low bitrate feeds they use compared to the old optik system when I was on fibre. Some of these channels are bitrate starved but I don't think they have ever acknowledged it sadly.

Yeah it's nuts. I bought an episode of a cable show from Apple TV to see them side by side vs my recording on Telus TV+ and it was laughable. The Telus broadcast looked like dial up. I have zero confidence in a company that would roll this out. Again, Telus, the box itself is snappy, I like the backlit remote, and the other apps look great, but your TV is unacceptable. Consumers, make some noise, they are getting away with a beta product with nineties resolution. 

Go into the Telus TV apps and search for Speed Test and try that my guess is your internet speed is slow and there must be something wrong with your box. As an example I just run the test on my box and it was showing over 350 Mbs

I am on ethernet on pure fibre gigabit. It's not the connection. It's their compression. Awful. 

PQ wasn’t the best with the Arris STBs, but it’s completely unacceptable on the new platform. TELUS, and seemingly many of the users in the forum, aren’t the least bit concerned about picture quality.

Personally I have posted so many criticisms since I moved to TELUS 14 months ago but I rarely post these days, cause what is the point. Nothing changes. If you really want to prove 'your' displeasure then vote with your wallet. Don't renew that contract! Maybe TELUS will start listening then...