Complaint Re: Telus customer Service and Feedback

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

JMartin
Resident

I recently received a survey from Telus asking about my recent experience with one of their customer service representatives. I was a long time mobility customer with Telus (over 10 years) and was looking to renew my contract with Telus and possibly buy a new device and hopefully combine it with my Telus home services and get a rate lower than I could get by going to another competitor. I expressed my grave concerns in this recent survey about the problems I encountered with the poor customer service I received.

Rather than contact me directly and address my concerns, I received a fancy, generic email from Telus indicating to me that "we're getting better every day". In the body of the email was a lovely survey telling me that Telus receives fewer customer complaints than both Roger and Bell. And then went on to indicate that I could refer friends and family to Telus and get a discount.

I found this email insulting and a waste of Telus resources. Rather than attempting to convince me that Telus receives fewer complaints than other carriers, a personal phone call from a Telus representative capable of doing their job and resolving my outstanding issues might have been more useful. It appears that Telus has little interest in retaining long time customers. I certainly will not be referring friends and family to Telus. Quite the opposite.

Still holding out hope that Telus might contact me and address my issues in a timely manner. In the meantime I am shopping around for a new phone and contract. I can assure you that at this point I have little incentive to renew with Telus.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe Telus uses an outside company to do the customer satisfaction surveys on their behalf. The email likely was a coincidence, albeit poorly timed. I don't even know if Telus will actually call back to follow up on the poor reviews or not. I'm not sure if they are just using them as a coaching tool for their employees or anything more.

If you're really unhappy, calling in and speaking to Loyalty & Retention may get you the resolution you seek. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
JMartin
Resident

It was the Loyalty department that I was speaking with. They were not very helpful to say the least.

Most Helpful

That is unusual, and as Nighthawk mentioned those are automated surveys sent out for data & coaching opportunities. I suggesting calling one more time, or alternatively reaching out to their Chat or  @TELUSsupport peeps on twitter. 

xray
All-Star

@JMartin wrote:

It was the Loyalty department that I was speaking with. They were not very helpful to say the least.

In what way were they not helpful? Did you have an issue with your account that needed resolving or were you just trying to get a better deal? I've spoken to the Loyalty department and while I didn't get the deal that I wanted I can't say in all honesty that they weren't helpful.

someone_9e9
Ambassador
Telus shouldnt waste times with surveys ...instead how about 5$ off the bill
Community Power User
Community Power User
How does giving $5 off the bill help Telus improve the user experience? Surveys allow determination of areas for improvement.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
wally_west
Ambassador

I agree with you NFtoBC, for a real mobile user ,$5 means nothing compare to having a good service. Surveys are a way for us to say what we think and Telus takes them seriously. Feedback, good or not is important in order to be constructive. This neighbourhood was created for this reason, to share and help each other, it's worth way more than $5.

xray
All-Star
@someone_9e9 see this post:
http://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Devices/Lower-Complaints/m-p/48579#U48579

Do you think TELUS can get results like this if surveys were a waste of time?

BCE had 251 complaints per million subscribers
Rogers had 259 complaints per million subscribers
TELUS had 66 complaints per million subscribers
SA
Advocate

Opinion:

Surveys are a waste of my time.

Saving money each month isn't.

Good service is not something that needs to be researched.

For specific issues, this forum is exactly setup to handle those cases.

If I come here to help or make a suggestion, that is done at a convenient time for me.

Getting called to participate in a survey is almost 100% always a bad time.

Community Power User
Community Power User

If I come here to help or make a suggestion, that is done at a convenient time for me.

If good service is not something that needs to be researched, why is there so much bad service out there?

This forum is actually a poor way to address customer satisfaction for many individuals; the barriers to entry to it are fairly high, and only those prepared to go a fair ways will participate. It also gathers proportionately a greater number of complaints and rants than kudos; there are VERY few individuals stopping by to indicate satisfaction. Any business of substance want to gather information from those who would not say anything about their experience whether good or bad; responding solely to submitted complaints leaves you far behind in customer service. This forum is also not staffed, but largely filled by other customers offering comment, so really is not a Telus solution provider - other avenues are more appropriate for that need.

Receiving an emailed request to participate in an online survey meets the test you cite above, and is the form of survey the OP spoke of.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
SA
Advocate

@NFtoBC wrote:

If good service is not something that needs to be researched, why is there so much bad service out there?

This forum is actually a poor way to address customer satisfaction for many individuals; the barriers to entry to it are fairly high, and only those prepared to go a fair ways will participate. It also gathers proportionately a greater number of complaints and rants than kudos; there are VERY few individuals stopping by to indicate satisfaction. Any business of substance want to gather information from those who would not say anything about their experience whether good or bad; responding solely to submitted complaints leaves you far behind in customer service. This forum is also not staffed, but largely filled by other customers offering comment, so really is not a Telus solution provider - other avenues are more appropriate for that need.

Receiving an emailed request to participate in an online survey meets the test you cite above, and is the form of survey the OP spoke of.

Why there is bad service has nothing to do with researching good service.

Forum here doesn't need to be staffed.  Just needs Telus people with the power to change things reading along.

While an online survey may seem convenient, it is just like a phone survey where the proper answer is usually a very narrow yes or no response to each question.  But; any issues I have are lumped in 'other', if they're collected at all.

What is good customer service?

Give the personnel the customer is talking to the power to fix the reasonable issues he/she has.

This is Not brain surgery.  Simply listening for understanding and responding appropriately.

The money spent on surveys is paid by us in the end.  That is the opposite of customer service in my view.

If I call Telus, don't have to be on hold for an hour, can have a 5 minute chat about MY issue and not spent on verifying my account or who I am and then proceed to get that issue cleared up is what good customer service is.

Spending two hours on hold, getting someone who can't or won't help me (or worse; doesn't understand what the issue even is... because they are not listening, they are reading from a script or typing in my responses as I talk, ugh) and then getting a survey request on how Telus did is not going to help the situation.

Like a said before, a survey isn't required to fix that issue.  The fix is to help the customer get the resolution they seek.

xray
All-Star

@SA wrote:

The fix is to help the customer get the resolution they seek.

How will TELUS know whether the customer received resolution they sought? Should they just take the word of the customer service agent? Customer surveys not only solicit customer satisfaction levels they also measure the effectiveness of the customer service staff. As with any large organisation there will always be some underperforming staff that need additional training or even need to be replaced.

The fact that surveys are even sent out at all indicates a willingness to improve customer service. I would not think highly of any company that says they don't need customer surveys. Such company is obviously satisfied with the status quo and doesn't see any room for improvement. That's like driving in thick fog with a paper map to guide you. Without external feedback you have no way of confirming that you are where you think you are.

SA
Advocate

That situation can be resolved with a separate person that monitors such customer service misfires.

Bothering every single customer to complete a survey that normally affects only a very few percentage points of the customers served is not customer service to me.

The systems in place is what should be fixed.  Not asking customers how to fix it.  This will get us better service and lower prices if the savings are actually passed on to us.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to set this up properly.  And no, I'm not volunteering to do it on my own either.

Dbab
Resident

FED UP!!!  I have been with Telus for over a decade now. I called in regards to renew my 3-year agreement again. I was offered a TV and a discount on my bill; I accepted the offer with a Verbal Agreement (Express Contract) to receive a Samsung Smart TV as well as a loyalty discount on my home phone. I got a call from the Escalations department after I agreed to the contract, saying we cannot give you the gift because you received a gift with us in the past, unless you leave our services for 90 days. The Escalations manager then said to me that I can either agree to this or cancel my agreement. I am a loyalty customer to Telus, I have paid all my bills on time and referred dozens of customers to them because of their great service. Is this really where I want my money to go to for the next 3 years!? Promising any customer something that you cannot fulfill after the contract has been verbally agreed to by both parties, is BREACH OF CONTRACT. It would be the same as if I stopped paying my service after I agreed to the contract. I shouldn't have had the trouble to waste my personal time to deal with something that your employees messed up on! I was promised a Samsung Smart TV as well as a discount on my house phone and I agreed to it because this is how I want to be treated and valued as a long term customer. Do some research before signing up with them! I am more than fed up with how they dealt with my situation.

Highlighted
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@Dbab while I totally agree that they should keep their promise and give you the TV, you are probably better off without it. 

The free gift is most definitely not free. If you were to try and cancel your TV service, you would likely be billed the regular cancellation fee, as well as the outstanding device balance for the TV (which can be upwards of $1000). 

Unless you absolutely need a new TV (and can't afford to buy one yourself right now), then I would pass on the contract altogether.

iPhone power user