cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling streaming video

ferda
Just Moved In

HI all, 

I have noticed that Telus seems to throttle streaming video. I have compared fast.com (3.3Mbps) to speedtest.net (220+). I am have looked all over looking to see if Telus has said that this is what they do. In speaking to CS, they swear Telus isnt doing this and its all on my end (phone, 3rd party apps (youtube) etc.)

Anyone else see this happening? I wasnt getting this on Koodo.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've never noticed any kind of throttling on my phone. Even tested with 4K video and it works fine. YouTube, Netflix, and other streaming services all work for me. Are you in an area where you have weak signal? Or possibly an issue with your phone/software?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

HI Nighthawk, what is your fast.com mobile speed? I have tested it with others who have telus, and never seen a speed exceed 3.4Mbps. However, when I run a vpn I get well over 50Mbps.

As stated with in my OP, I have a significant difference in speed from speedtest.net vs fast.com

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only two bars I’m getting well beyond your 3.4 Mbps. Never had any throttling as you claim. 

1B986516-169A-4DD3-989F-C2ADC0A43948.png

with VPN (Vancouver server)

70044D26-C0C3-4408-9FFC-665CAD834737.png

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
One thing to watch with Fast.com is that it can be dependent on the browser you use. The below Fast.com results from my phone with 1-2 bars only:

Safari: 89mbps down, 7.7mbps up.
Firefox: 84mbps down, 7.0mbps up.
Chrome: 38mbps down, 4.4mbps up.
Edge: 60mbps down, 8.7mbps up.

I’ve had LTE top out at 134mbps but that was at YVR airport with full bars.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂