cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3a Wi-Fi calling not working

BarrieBob
Just Moved In

Recently purchased some Google Pixel 3a's for my sales staff. Over the last 18 days, I've been in touch with several Telus reps and Google to solve the issue of Wi-Fi calling not working on brand new phones. When I go into the menu and activate Wi-Fi calling the phone will get stuck at this screen.

wifi calling.png

It will stay at this screen for hours. I'm being told by Telus that this is a software issue with Google and that a software update is needed to be published by Google. I'm also told that this has been going on for almost a year. 

On this page -> https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/wifi-calling-explained it clearly lists the Google Pixel 3a as a phone that will work on Telus for Wi-Fi calling. 

How can Telus advertise the Google Pixel 3a for use with Wi-Fi calling with it is know by Telus that all Google Pixel 3 & 3a's are currently not working Wi-Fi calling and that "maybe in the future" this service will work!!

3 REPLIES 3

BarrieBob
Just Moved In

18 days, five Telus Reps (in customer service and technical support), One Google Rep, a trip to UBREAKIFIX (Google's suggestion) and only when I called to return the phones did a SMART Telus rep let me know that the phones need to be registered at https://ent.telus.com/acmegw-android/entitlement/e911

This was a huge waste of time!!! We should receive a bill credit for all the time that has been wasted on the phone with Telus and for the day's my salespeople have been without proper service!!!

This was also an instant fix for me on my Pixel 3.  I spent multiple hours trying to fix this yesterday. Went through two agents.  The last one insisting that i needed to modify detailed settings (DNS numbers on my phone.)They even sent me a you tube video that was useless as it clearly wasn't the same version of android.

SOLUTION: Same as Fido and Koodo, Same as on my Note 8. BUT at least their entry level agents knew what to do!

1. Activate VoLTE on your account

2. Complete the registration "handshake" between your phone and the cellular network.  You need to actually have your phone complete a "handshake" to register your phone. You have to enter your address for the 911 system.

NOTE: You need to complete the "handshake" while on a cellular network.  (A part of the process is receiving a standard text message)

DON'T try to enable wifi calling when you actually need the wifi calling.

Enter your phone number on this page:

https://ent.telus.com/acmegw-android/entitlement/e911 It will send a code to your phone in a text message, enter that message on the screen that pops up after you submitted your phone number, Then enter the emergency information and finish your registration.

I tried this, and on both my phone and the web version of this page, it gets stuck at submitting my address info. I do it, press submit, the screen refreshes, and it's still at the submit page.

Did you do anything clever to get past this ?