cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail Migration - New Support Content

psl
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hey everyone, as many of you have noticed, since last year, we’ve been migrating customers to the new TELUS email powered by Google. Providing new benefits, such as:

• Triple your current storage space from 5 GB to 15 GB
  • Being able to check your email on any device
  • Improved reliability and security for your peace of mind

From the forum conversations that we’ve seen, we understand that it wasn’t perfect, and we have worked continuously to update our support information, to help provide a seamless transition.

Here is our new support video to provide you an end to end overview of the migration process, as well as resources available. 

Below we’ve included the URLs mentioned in the video:

If you received an invite to migrate, or want early access: telus.com/ScheduleMigration

Info you will need on the day of migration: telus.com/steps

Help with third party email programs (e.g. MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird): telus.com/setup

If you still have any unanswered questions, please let us know below. 

Please note: We have limited support for third party email programs, and may need to direct you to your email program provider for assistance. 

66 REPLIES 66

What $8/m  ?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Just_LH 

Telus offers the ability to retain one's Telus email address (for a fee) while not being a Telus customer. It is especially handy for folks who move to a location where Telus does not provide internet services, but the individual has their Telus email assigned to a bunch of services.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Poacea
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks, will try to figure it out

Poacea
Friendly Neighbour
Just for the address, I live in a rural area, internet access, phone, satellite tv are all separate telus bills.

Fran2
Neighbour
How long does it take for Telus email to migrate? My google email was opened 2 weeks ago.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Fran2 

Answered in your other post.

NFtoBC

DMAN1
Helpful Neighbour

Do I need a google account to do this?     If so how do I get one?

DMAN1
Helpful Neighbour

It says to log into google.......how is this done?  Seriously, no idea.

On this page : https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/day-one-checklist-google-email?INTCMP=VAN_steps

Where it says "steps to activate" ...click on that down arrow and scroll down. That will take you step by step.

I don't know why all that is is "hidden" ?!

But in short you log into google there, with your telus account info.

DMAN1
Helpful Neighbour

In your video it says   'we can notify you once your account has been migrated'.............how long does it take to get this notification ?   

I was scheduled for yesterday  7AM.....and nothing has happened.  

How long till I get a notification?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you still able to access your Telus.net email? If so the migration did not happen. You should receive a message to the cellular phone you entered while scheduling the migration.

NFtoBC

KB123
Organizer

Is there contact information to get assistance for this process? My wife is trying to schedule her migration and the link at the bottom of the first page seems to be dead. She has filled out the page with selecting her date, etc, but it will not take her to the next step. 

CandiceDawn
Just Moved In

I don't really understand the whole thing. I didn't even know I had a telus e-mail. I signed up to telus with my g-mail account, do I still need to migrate my telus e-mail?

CandiceDawn
Just Moved In

I think I may have accidentally deleted the e-mail, is there a way to get another one?

You don't actually need the email. It's just informative. There's nothing in the email that isn't in the first post of this thread.

The email contains a link to schedule your email migration but it just goes to the TELUS webmail site. When you log in it will trigger the scheduling.

https://webmail.telus.net/

Hubbmeister
Organizer

@psl 

I haven't used Telus for email for over a decade, ever since you stopped handling it yourselves and outsourced it to some pathetically incompetent 3rd party.

I currently use Gmail for my personal email, but I'm far from happy with it.

So, if I decide to activate a Telus/Google account:

- Will Google still be rummaging through my emails looking for data to add to their database? Your video claims that agreeing to Google's terms is "just a technicality", but I understand enough law to seriously doubt that statement.

- Will I still be subject to Google's truly annoying security algorithms that lock you out of your account if *they* decide your activity is suspicious? And send security "warnings" every time your IP address changes (hello, DHCP????)

- Will I be required to give them my phone number? I know you said "No" previously, but later posts suggest that this is not the case.

- Will you offer some kind of 2FA that *doesn't* rely on using text messaging which is useless in places with no/poor cell coverage (depressingly common in Canada) and is *known* to be easily spoofed? Something like Yubikey, for instance?

- Will Google still be rummaging through my emails .............

Yes.

- Will I still be subject to Google's truly annoying security algorithms that lock you out of your account if *they* decide your activity is suspicious? And send security "warnings" every time your IP address changes (hello, DHCP????)

Login is through them so probably, but others can correct this.

- Will I be required to give them my phone number? I know you said "No" previously, but later posts suggest that this is not the case.

No but they might keep asking ...... you know for your security!

wallylm
Just Moved In

My Telus e-mail account was migrated to Google last fall but I've been getting text messages the past week asking to schedule a time to migrate the account again. Is this a different migration of my e-mail account or does this not apply to me?  The only other thought is if there are any other e-mail addresses under my account that have been inactive (but I was told Telus doesn't do this anymore when I asked to create new ones for my daughters last year). 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@wallylm 

This happened to a neighbour, who I helped last fall. We ignored it.

@dru can you share this info with the migration team?

NFtoBC

I received 4 notifications for migration, one for each email address in my account. You may have an email address you forgot about because you don't use it.

Log into your Telus account (not email) you can look at your email and aliases there. And manage them. Just can't add any.