cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need WiFi for all SmartHome devices to work?

jg3588
Just Moved In

If I've got the control panel, and several sensors (door, motion, CO2, smoke, flood, glass), do I need WiFi to make them work? I understand I would likely need WiFi to be able to control/monitor the systems from my phone, but what if I am getting the security system set up before the WiFi. Will someone (Telus?) be alerted in some way if any of the items are triggered? Can I still arm the home from the control panel itself? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Disclaimer, although I work for TELUS, I do not specialize in the Smart Home Security department. I'll still do my best though to answer what I can. You are also more than welcome to call TELUS SmartHome Technical Support at: 1-855-255-8828

The official statement for your question - Source

Service eligibility - To use TELUS SmartHome Security products, you’ll need high speed internet service to support outdoor camera use and to be within the TELUS Mobility HSPA coverage area. 

My recommendation: You should first have TELUS Internet in your home before installing TELUS SmartHome Security.

Deeper Dive

The TELUS Smart Home Security Suite uses a combination of wireless technologies to work. Some use WiFi, cellular data, and or Z-Wave. Most of them use the wireless technology called Z-Wave (not WiFi). 

• If a sensor or device is only running via batteries only, its usually using Z-Wave.
  • If a sensor or device is running via wall power or 120v it is likely using WiFi.

Although the devices you mentioned will still work without WiFi, you will loose some of the functionality on your phone, but the actual devices such as smoke alarm will still make sound if their is smoke. The details of the lost functionality however I am not positive on.

Z-Wave Devices (Do not require WiFi)

• Smart lightbulb
  • Smart plug (appliance or dimmer)
  • Smart door lock
  • Z-wave repeater
  • Smart garage controller
  • Smart thermostat
  • Door/Window Sensor
  • Motion Sensor
  • CO2 Sensor
  • Smoke Sensor
  • Flood Sensor
  • Glass Break Sensor

Wi-Fi Devices

• All camera versions
  • Panel

I hope that helps! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge, you need Wi-Fi to properly set up the security system. While it has cellular backup, and some of the devices are Bluetooth, others connect via Wi-Fi.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Disclaimer, although I work for TELUS, I do not specialize in the Smart Home Security department. I'll still do my best though to answer what I can. You are also more than welcome to call TELUS SmartHome Technical Support at: 1-855-255-8828

The official statement for your question - Source

Service eligibility - To use TELUS SmartHome Security products, you’ll need high speed internet service to support outdoor camera use and to be within the TELUS Mobility HSPA coverage area. 

My recommendation: You should first have TELUS Internet in your home before installing TELUS SmartHome Security.

Deeper Dive

The TELUS Smart Home Security Suite uses a combination of wireless technologies to work. Some use WiFi, cellular data, and or Z-Wave. Most of them use the wireless technology called Z-Wave (not WiFi). 

• If a sensor or device is only running via batteries only, its usually using Z-Wave.
  • If a sensor or device is running via wall power or 120v it is likely using WiFi.

Although the devices you mentioned will still work without WiFi, you will loose some of the functionality on your phone, but the actual devices such as smoke alarm will still make sound if their is smoke. The details of the lost functionality however I am not positive on.

Z-Wave Devices (Do not require WiFi)

• Smart lightbulb
  • Smart plug (appliance or dimmer)
  • Smart door lock
  • Z-wave repeater
  • Smart garage controller
  • Smart thermostat
  • Door/Window Sensor
  • Motion Sensor
  • CO2 Sensor
  • Smoke Sensor
  • Flood Sensor