cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only Plans & VoIP

VoIP-Data
Just Moved In

Thank you for looking into this,

I have a SmartPhone and I am interested in knowing if I can get the $40 2GB data plan only? If so, is Internet connectivity good enough to support VoIP using SIP and G.711u? Let's pretend that everything works perfectly outside the Telus network. That is to say that the VoIP provider and Internet services have zero latency and no dropped packets. I want to use my Voip.ms service to provide me with phone service rather than Telus.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe you can manually change the APN @Artemis - TELUS uses two for mobile data 1) sp.telus.com (smartphone, and 2) isp.telus.com (tablet/internet key). 

If you buy a sim card for tablets and call their client care to activate, you can get around the requirement to have a tablet in hand. 

One thing to be careful of if you put a tablet SIM into a smartphone is that voice/sms charges are REALLY expensive. I believe voice is $1/min and SMS are pay per use. 

iPhone power user

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Your best bet would be to get a tablet plan if you are only going to use data -> http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/ipad_plans/plan_ipad.shtml?INTCMP=TABLETSflexplans 

I use VoIP services using their LTE network quite regularly and it works great. Was there a specific service you were planning on using?

iPhone power user

Thanks Dark_Knight,

Great! I am using Voip.ms which is my VoIP provider.

So it is fine to use a tablet plan for an Android smartphone, iPhone, etc... ?  It's not confined to tablets only?

Thanks again.

Greetings,

You would not be able to get a tablet plan unfortunately.  Tablets and smartphones will use different APNs and this would result in being charged Pay Per Use data rates.

I believe you can manually change the APN @Artemis - TELUS uses two for mobile data 1) sp.telus.com (smartphone, and 2) isp.telus.com (tablet/internet key). 

If you buy a sim card for tablets and call their client care to activate, you can get around the requirement to have a tablet in hand. 

One thing to be careful of if you put a tablet SIM into a smartphone is that voice/sms charges are REALLY expensive. I believe voice is $1/min and SMS are pay per use. 

iPhone power user

View solution in original post

In addition to what Dark Knight has stated, they also periodically check if the device & plan match up in their systems and you may lose the plan and be forced to take Smartphone plan with a voice components.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
To my knowledge Telus does not provision smartphones without a voice plan. You would need to look to a tablet to have a data only plan.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"