cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 Ultra - 5G issues (Port from Rogers).

MrGUD
Organizer

Hello,
Today i ported my number from Rogers (5G service) to Telus (5G service) using S20 Ultra device (SM-SG988W).

5G worked perfectly fine on Rogers.

To my surprise i was advised from Telus support (Live chat) that, there is a 'known' issue for Samsung S20 (FE / Ultra, etc) where devices are not able to connect to 5G network on Telus.
Telus has an active ticket (internal , ticket # 11068113 ) , yet, no solution or update from Samsung/Telus support team about this.

After reading on PublicMobile / Koodoo forums, in these forums appears that there is a lot more discussion about this then on this forum.

Samsung S20 Ultra is supposed to be fully compatible with 5G network? (Please correct me if i am wrong).

I don't feel like spending extra money for new device just because of this, especially when 5G should work on this device.

Is there a way to escalate this with Telus/Samsung , or what would be the best way to look into having this resolved?

I can provide more information / tests / outputs, if needed, for any kind of troubleshooting.

Thanks for your time / help.

29 REPLIES 29

Syaoran
All-Star
The issue is a Telus issue. Other networks using Band N66 don't have issues with the S20FE.

MrGUD
Organizer

Thanks for responding.

That is the way i see it as well, especially as there was no problem getting 5G service with Rogers using same S20 Ultra Device.

Yet, Telus is blaming Samsung about this and the way i see right now ... Telus is not doing anything in regards to this issue to be addressed? Telus, c mon?

As i mentioned, Koodoo Mobile (Forum), as well as Public Mobile (Forum) is full of complains about this for couple months back (a lot more recently as many people signed up and "upgraded" their plans to 5G which they cannot use).

All these phones are advertised as 5G phones, so, 5G should work without issue.

Please advise.

Telus/Koodo/Public are at the roots, all of the same company and share the same network. Rogers doesn't use Band N66 in much at all. However, Freedom uses a lot of Band N4/N66 and there are no issues on their network, which is still mostly independent of Rogers, using the old Fido Network and what little Freedom actually had before being acquired.

Carriers love to deflect the blame on to manufacturers. In some cases, they are correct in doing so but in this case, it is a Telus Network related issue. If it wasn't, it would also affect US models because the hardware is exactly the same and only the firmware made the different between a U, U1, and W device for most Ssung devices and why the firmware is inter-changeable. T-Mobile, AT&T, and other US carriers would be flooded with complaints that have Band N4/N66 deployments.

Thank you once again for responding and your time.

What would be your recommendation about this? ( I don't feel like spending extra money for a new device due to this issue ), and clearly Telus is not doing anything to address this issue.

Also, i dont find it wise to stay with Telus and pay for 5G service where i cannot use it.

I am looking into FreedomMobile now, their offers, but, not sure how their 5G coverage is (doing some re-search).

Once again, thanks for your time.

These devices definitely are not cheap and replacing them when you don't have to is completely understandable. Is it worth picking up the cheapest prepaid offering Freedom has just to see how your coverage is and how your device performs on their network? There's always Rogers to return to or Bell. Bell's network is much more diverse in the bands being used and deployed.

Thanks once again for your time to respond to this issue and provide helpful information.

Problem now is that most of Black Friday Deals (Cyber Monday deals) expired, getting affordable / similar plan from different provider can be tricky. Wish i knew about this issue before i signed up with Telus (As with Rogers everything worked perfectly fine , and the only reason i signed up with Telus was $5 difference = i feel stupid now, as i am wasting my time trying to have Telus look into something they simply don't care about and won't do anything about).

After reading other Koodo and Public Mobile forums i find many other people feel the same, signed up for something that can't be used, even thought devices are 5G compatible and advertised as 5G devices.

I might need to wait until Boxing Day deals to see what will happen.

Thank you again.

As of right now, just hope that somebody from Telus will look into this thread and provide some useful information / progress about ticket that i provided in here.

C'mon Telus? 🙂

Thanks.

Does anyone know if this 5G issue goes beyond S20 Ultra product line?  I have an S22 and am experiencing issues.

MrGUD
Organizer

Telus (Moderators/Support), can we get your thoughts / update on this thread, at least to see if there is any hope, or me (and others using S20 series devices) are stuck ?

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'll respond to your private message now, thanks.

Thank you!

Dear, Community Manager

Is there a solution to this problem?  I ported from Rogers to Telus like others in this thread.  I have reset my network settings, re-seated the SIM card, turn off 5G and turned back on.....I'm southwest Scarborough which has 5G coverage.  Any help would be appreciated.

Which device are you using?

What i see, there is no resolution, nobody is telling us anything specific about this.

Every time i contact Telus via chat / call, i am being told the same , no update on the ticket.

The way i see it, nothing will be done, in the end, if we want to use 5G service we will need to go back to Rogers or upgrade the phones (even thought these phones are 5G phones).

S20 Ultra 5G

I doubt this forum / thread would do anything related fo to this issue.

Would recommend contacting Telus technical support and mentioning ticket number i provided in this thread.

If more people are added to the list with the issue, maybe they'll do something.

So far this forum has been dead end.

Mathsss
Organizer
Just switched to Telus from Rogers also with S20 5G and 5G is working for me all the way of HWY 40 in Montreal but using an app to see the towers I was not able to see B12, B13, B29 (700MHz) or B71 (600MHz) this motning so I did a reset of network settings and now I can see B12 and B13 but weak at Home. Telus supposed to have a tower with 600MHz near me and cannot see the signal. I disappointed after a day. B2 and B7 are the ones I see the most but inside the building it disappear.

Mathsss
Organizer
Just switched to Telus from Rogers also with S20 5G and 5G is working for me all the way of HWY 40 in Montreal but using an app to see the towers I was not able to see B12, B13, B29 (700MHz) or B71 (600MHz) this motning so I did a reset of network settings and now I can see B12 and B13 but weak at Home. Telus supposed to have a tower with 600MHz near me and cannot see the signal. I am disappointed after a day. B2 and B7 are the ones I see the most but inside the building it disappear.

I am still struggling with the same issue , where i find that Rogers network was performing a lot better for me compared to Telus network.

Which App are you using to see the towers? I was using NetMonitor to check the signal/status, etc.

Maybe you have a better App that i can try / test and see if i can get more information in my area.

Thanks

I use LTE discovery.

I had better Reception at home with Rogers but can't say better outside. For sure Rogers B12 and B13 bands side by side (20 MHz wide) is a benefit and it goes through building. The problem is that Telus use alot of higher frequency bands so useless 8nside houses

For some reason cannot install this from app store, tells me it's built for older version 😕