Software Update Schedule Discussion

mhinc
Ambassador
It would be nice not to wait for 2 months for an OS update for once. Sad that all over the world, factory unlocked S8s are receiving Oreo as we speak and us "contract suckers" are forced to wait. I get in house testing. But I'm sorry 2 months is nuts. Maybe offer a beta to help move things along.
Clouded
Connector
Techjunkie
Advocate
As soon as one carrier in Canada releases it, you can Flash it on your Telus version using ODIN, if you are feeling adventurous. I do it all the time. It's all exactly the same hardware and software, Canada wide. Hell, you can even Flash over to USA model/software. That also works.
Highlighted
mhinc
Ambassador

@Techjunkie

Ya.  I am aware.  I just prefer to have the legit release for Telus. I think going forward I am going to buy unlocked devices directly from Samsung.  Just sucks waiting so long so the legit version from the provider.

I am all about in house testing.  I appreciate it, but it should NOT take as long as it does.  And if the excuse from Telus is that the time is required, then they should have a Beta test team of users to help things move along faster.  That would just make sense.

Techjunkie
Advocate
I'm pretty sure that buying unlocked from Samsung won't make a difference. It's still the "W" Canadian version, and will receive updates based on whichever providers sim is inserted.
Trident
Connector
You can use ODIN and flash USA version software for an unlocked phone but you will loose VoLTe and HD calling on your Samsung phones.
Techjunkie
Advocate
That is correct. I converted mine to a N950U (Canada is N950W) so I could run the leaked Oreo builds, and I lost VoLTE. I don't care though, I make 2 calls a month.
mhinc
Ambassador

Oh well Samsung has pulled the Oreo release anyway due to random reboots.  So guess we won't see official for even longer now.

Not that the first one even hit Canada.

Clouded
Connector
@mhinc Well that sucks :/. At least we'll get a stable build of it.
mhinc
Ambassador

@Clouded

That is the ONE good thing about Telus being so **bleep** about releasing new builds.  The rigorous testing.

Just seems like it's a bit too long, they should utilize their users for a small beta test. 

I think real world use would be nice to include and speed things up better than just in house.

But that's just me

Techjunkie
Advocate

FYI

I just flashed the modem and CSC files from the stock Telus software (BRA5) while running the latest Oreo (CRB9), and I have VoLTE back. Smiley Happy

Trident
Connector
1) What phone do you have? S8, S8+ or Note 8.
2) Was your phone purchased from Telus or somewhere else?
3) Did VoLTE work for you prior to the flash? And if so, when did it stop working?
4) Do you have HD Calling?

Techjunkie
Advocate
Are your questions directed at me?
I have a Telus Note 8 (direct from Telus) running the leaked Oreo build (CRB9). VoLTE and HD calling worked fine before flashing Oreo. VoLTE stopped working because i am running USA software on a Canadian phone. My Model number and CSC changed as a result, which is why it stopped working. That is normal. I just figured out how to get it working again by flashing the CSC and modem from the most current Telus Nougat version (BRA5).

As a result, i have fully functioning Oreo with all the Telus goodies intact.
mhinc
Ambassador

Looks like Fido is first in Canada to announce Oreo Update on the S8 and S8+  Scheduled for March

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/custom/page/page-id/forumpage.osupgradesen

Clouded
Connector
Yep. It looks like the LG G6 and V30 are getting it in March too.
mhinc
Ambassador
Heres hoping that this fuels a fire under Telus butt to be first to market in Canada.
I'd like to at least see an update to the schedule to show a month like Fido. Give us something. From what I've heard Oreo is amazing in thr sense of fluid, fast and battery saving. A dramatic difference from N.
Clouded
Connector
Yep. I heard that it runs really well on the S8 and S8+ and fixes issues from Experience 8.1. Here's hoping it comes soon to not only the S8, but other Samsung devices and Android devices.
Clouded
Connector
It looks like the Canadian Variant of the Note8 recently got Wifi Certified for Oreo. It's coming! https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=certified&sort_order=desc&categories=4&keywords...
Karkutt
Friendly Neighbour

Hello May I ask is the beta worth the trouble updating to?

Also what are the steps and does it trip Knox?

Does Samsung Pay still work?

And lastly how did u put back all the Telus settings so u can still use all the features?

Thanks in advance, Sorry for all the questions

kbieth
Friendly Neighbour

I have a Samsung source that is reporting the ETA for Android Oreo launch in Canada will be March 12th for the S8 and S8+ and May 22nd for the S7. So far this source has been relatively accurate on past security patch updates. So if you have an S8 or S8+ we are less than 2 weeks away from an official launch.