cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Prime Video randomly

valeriemufford
Friendly Neighbour

I'm not sure what to do about this, but for the last 3 days, Prime Video starts randomly.  We have been watching recorded shows, with no one touching the remote, and Prime Video just starts.  I don't have the app for it, we generally watch it on channel 424 when we want to use it.  Every morning for the last 3 days it is on the opening screen for Prime when I turn the box on.  I put it on 104 every night when I go to bed because I like to watch the news in the morning, but it has been on Prime for the last 3 days.  I have only noticed it while watching recorded stuff or first thing in the morning, but it's just annoying.  Wondering if it's happened to anyone else.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi everyone, a quick update that Amazon has deployed a fix for this issue and this is now resolved. The issue originated from a bug within the Prime Video app on handheld devices that causes random start-ups on the boxes. Please ensure you have the latest Prime Video app on the phone or tablet that you're using. If you're still experiencing this issue, please chime in and let us know. Thank you for everyone's patience while we worked with Amazon to address this issue. 

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69

TheresaK
Helpful Neighbour
Numerous times today. Anyone else getting the previously mentioned pop up message when watching PVRd programming too? It's super annoying.

RP1
Friendly Neighbour
STB for me, very frustrating issue

The issue seems to resolve itself on its own.
Sent from my iPhone

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi all, we've escalated this case and we're actively working with Amazon to resolve this issue. Thank you for everyone's patience while we work on addressing the issue. 

We are having the same issue as everyone above. Set top box, both the pvr and the regular box. It was happening constantly over Christmas to the point my husband wanted to cancel everything Telus. We called a tech. He did all the rebooting stuff (even though we had tried that ourselves multiple times). The. He said he was going to escalate it and someone was to call me back the next day by 5. Still waiting for that call about 3 weeks later. Then last week it seemed to be a little better with it not happening as much but now today it just happened 4 times k. Less than 10 mins. This is so frustrating and I’m super tired of no one being able to fix this!

RP1
Friendly Neighbour
Any updates to help me resolve this ongoing problem ?

Kelownamission7
Neighbour

same thing has happened to us in Kelowna.  very random and prime comes on without any switching.  Annoying 

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi All, we're still working through this issue with Amazon. In the meantime, when Prime Video pops up, please close the app on the box, open another app such as Netflix or YouTube, and then close that. If you have the Prime Video app running on your phone, force close the Prime Video on your phone as well. This should reduce the amount of times the Prime Video app randomly opens! 

SuzieTex
Neighbour
This happens to us when someone is using one of the other TVs in the house. Not watching Prime mind you, just… anything. Have we gotten a fix for this yet?

We are having the same issue. I put it on channel 104 before we go to bed and when I turn the TV on in the morning it's on Prime. We will be watching a recorded program and it will randomly switch to Prime. Sometimes watching live TV it switches to Prime on its own. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week, other times it's happening daily. On both TVs. We have new boxes this year they are VIP5602W AND UIW4001e.

We are having the same issue. I put it on channel 104 before we go to bed and when I turn the TV on in the morning it's on Prime. We will be watching a recorded program and it will randomly switch to Prime. Sometimes watching live TV it switches to Prime on its own. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a week, other times it's happening daily. On both TVs. We have new boxes this year they are VIP5602W AND UIW4001e.

DHerms
Neighbour
Happening to me as well. It’s been happening for a couple months now… Happened 3 times just this evening trying to watch the Oilers game. We almost missed a goal!

elbuchho
Neighbour
We are having this happen as well. When someone is watching TV through the Telus optix box, and someone else opens Prime on a phone or tablet, the optix box automatically switches to Prime. Is there a solution?

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to provide a quick update on the Prime Video issue, especially since the previous workaround may have been buried in the thread.

Progress Update: We've been diligently collaborating with Prime Video, pinpointing the problem with their recent app update. Currently, we're in direct communication with Amazon and are eagerly awaiting their fix release.

Please be aware that TELUS technicians and agents are unable to address this issue directly, and swapping boxes will not resolve this issue.

Temporary Workaround: When encountering the Prime Video pop-up glitch, follow these steps:

1. Close the Prime Video app on your box.
  2. Open another app like Netflix or YouTube and then close it.
  3. If you have the Prime Video app running on your phone, force close it.
  4. If Prime Video is running on your mobile or tablet devices, unlocking those devices may trigger Prime Video on your box.

This response will be marked as the solution for easy reference.

Thank you for your patience as we work towards a permanent resolution.

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi everyone, a quick update that Amazon has deployed a fix for this issue and this is now resolved. The issue originated from a bug within the Prime Video app on handheld devices that causes random start-ups on the boxes. Please ensure you have the latest Prime Video app on the phone or tablet that you're using. If you're still experiencing this issue, please chime in and let us know. Thank you for everyone's patience while we worked with Amazon to address this issue. 

RP1
Friendly Neighbour
Still happening here, no difference

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Kindly update the Prime Video app on your phone or tablet and check again. 

RP1
Friendly Neighbour
Updated app, no difference, 5th time switching to prime video unexpectedly

ScottErb
Friendly Neighbour
Update not working 5th time in a hour

ScottErb
Friendly Neighbour
Tried to watch a recording in 15 minutes app has kick me out of show to the prime vide login

ScottErb
Friendly Neighbour

Maybe update the Amazon prime video on optik tv