cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Prime Video randomly

valeriemufford
Friendly Neighbour

I'm not sure what to do about this, but for the last 3 days, Prime Video starts randomly.  We have been watching recorded shows, with no one touching the remote, and Prime Video just starts.  I don't have the app for it, we generally watch it on channel 424 when we want to use it.  Every morning for the last 3 days it is on the opening screen for Prime when I turn the box on.  I put it on 104 every night when I go to bed because I like to watch the news in the morning, but it has been on Prime for the last 3 days.  I have only noticed it while watching recorded stuff or first thing in the morning, but it's just annoying.  Wondering if it's happened to anyone else.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi everyone, a quick update that Amazon has deployed a fix for this issue and this is now resolved. The issue originated from a bug within the Prime Video app on handheld devices that causes random start-ups on the boxes. Please ensure you have the latest Prime Video app on the phone or tablet that you're using. If you're still experiencing this issue, please chime in and let us know. Thank you for everyone's patience while we worked with Amazon to address this issue. 

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69

I have this issue also. they sent me new boxes but no help. now I am on hold again to give the tech folks another try. 

we have tried talking to the tech people, getting new boxes but nothing seems to work. I have unplugged and plugged more time than I can count.  that seems to be their go to solution. one of the tech people told me they had never heard of the problem before. LOL.   

JeffM1
Neighbour

I am having the same issue.  

TheresaK
Helpful Neighbour
Right? All the time.

spooner
Neighbour
Mine has been doing this for the last week, regardless of what box is on and sometimes multiple times in the same hour. Very annoying…

Mettinger
Neighbour

This has been happening for about a month for me as well… similar to others, not on Amazon or Prime on my mobile when it happens. It just switches midshow asking who is watching. Seems to be happening the most on my main tv box where the wifi is too but it also does happen less frequently on my 2nd box downstairs. Unplugging the power, waiting a minute and rebooting does not fix it. Definitely a wider problem than anticipated.

When this happens I log into Netflix on channel 422 and then log out again. I think the box can only process one app at a time and this causes it to “release” Amazon Prime. Try and see if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone

I've found that just hitting the guide button makes it go back to regular tv, or whatever I was watching when the switch happens.  Still annoying though.

Just got home watching the hockey game 5 times a sorry 6 times now it comes on for no reason

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, we're trying to find the root cause. Can anyone experiencing this issue leave a comment about the viewing platform you're on?

Are you on the cloud-based TV+ platform?

Or are you on the previous set-top box based platform?

Thanks!

Set-top box for me.

4K PVR/STB VIP5662W

Set-top box for me.....

TheresaK
Helpful Neighbour
I am just viewing regular telus TV box - live or PVR program when it happens. Prime has been logged out of all platforms when it happens.

TheresaK
Helpful Neighbour
Also... ALWAYS getting the pop up at the bottom of the screen when watching PVRd programs that says "Press OK button on your remote to browse recordings" when this message is there, I cannot pause, fast forward etc. Sometimes it is therefor a split second, other times for about a minute.

valeriemufford
Friendly Neighbour

I only use the set top PVR.  We don't use our other tvs enough to say if it is happening on the wireless boxes as well.

I have been so annoyed by this that I just requested a new wireless set top box from Telus. It arrived. I installed it. Within a day the new box (VIP5602W) is doing the same thing! Absolutely frustrating

Hi all. I’ve been so annoyed by this that I requested a new wireless set-top box from Telus. They actually recommended it and sent one. Went through the whole setup process with the new box (VIP5602W) and within a day it was doing the same ‘jump’ to Prime app. Please figure this out! Absolutely driving us crazy!

Optik pvr

I have been reading about this as our upstairs tv does this often to us. The tv is connected to our pvr and pvr model is vip5662W.

Haven’t noticed it on other tvs just the one connected to the pvr. We do watch Amazon Prime on our downstairs tv and wireless optic box. Neither of us have prime on our phones. Cycled the main box and all optic boxes trying to see if that has worked but no joy.

ScottErb
Friendly Neighbour
Same story as us We tried the techs tried online sent us a new one said that would be the remedy nope. Same issues I think it’s a Telus issues with the app on the software