cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I still have to pay Telus for email when they've handed my email account to Google Gmail?

bjaggard
Just Moved In

I've been paying over $15 per month for Telus webmail (2 email addresses) for years...although most email services are free.

Now they've migrated the accounts to Gmail. Can I stop my monthly payments to Telus or will I finally have to get new email addresses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

If you want free email from Google then you need to get a gmail account [email protected].

If you want to continue using [email protected] then you need to pay or be a TELUS Internet customer. TELUS pays Google to run the telus.net mail service, it's not free to TELUS as it would be for individual gmail accounts.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

xray
Hero

If you want free email from Google then you need to get a gmail account [email protected].

If you want to continue using [email protected] then you need to pay or be a TELUS Internet customer. TELUS pays Google to run the telus.net mail service, it's not free to TELUS as it would be for individual gmail accounts.

Sounds like you dropped your TELUS internet and decided to retain your telus.net email addresses. Maybe it is time to move to one of the free email services so that you no longer have to pay TELUS for email only service.

@rc  Never paid for email service it is inside of the  internet package from day one on using telus internet. At one time norton was free inside the package on copper when i had fiber installed they started charging. I have 25/25 at 85 $ no extra email charge.

@polecat

For about $7 per month TELUS will provide an email address, people usually use this as a temporary transition measure when they move from TELUS internet to another provider. 

Yes email is "free" if you have TELUS internet.

@rc @NFtoBC  Thanks was not aware of that you could have a telus email seperate from their internet  and you pay. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@polecat 

Telus is one of the few ISP who allow customers to retain their telus.net email address even if no longer a customer. This is particularly a bonus if a customer is moving to a location where Telus does not offer internet services, but the customer has many links to their existing email address.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Wow, Telus is just the BEST aren't they!   😂

(Still begging for likes I see)

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Fisherguy 

When a Neighbour marks an answer as a Like, or Most Helpful, it raises the solution in the search rankings. This benefits any user seeking answers in the Neighbourhood, but has relatively little bearing on the individual receiving them as other metrics are used to address participation.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC 
That may be true but then why beg for likes with EVERY post.
Whatever ...

a7a13089telus
Neighbour

Yes, you have to pay Telus so they can pay Google to run your email through Google.  AND you have to trust Telus that they aren't also getting some sort of return help from Google with data mining or otherwise using their customers as a commodity.

And you're DEFINITELY not supposed to be outraged that Telus wants to voluntarily work with Google - despite Google's track record of helping with censorship and spying on Chinese citizens by the Communist Chinese government.  Despite the fact that Google is happy to partner with and support with Google services and tools the Communist Chinese government is engaged in the genocide of their Muslim Ugher citizens.

Nor should you be outraged that Telus is going to allow Google, through this partnership, to turn your email account and you into a commodity to be sold to whoever wants it.

This is disgusting.

polecat
All-Star

@bjaggard  I have never paid Telus for email it is included in your internet package.