20mbps download speed or lower when I should be getting 40-50! 2 or lower upload speed.

Highlighted
Connector
I have two telephone lines going out of the router.
Highlighted
Connector
Line 1 downstream : 29841 kbps
Line 1 upstream : 1082 kbps
Line 2 downstream : 28430 kbps
Line 2 upstream : 1086 kbps
Highlighted
Connector
Line 1 downstream : 29841 kbps
Line 1 upstream : 1082 kbps
Line 2 downstream : 28430 kbps
Line 2 upstream : 1149 kbps
Highlighted
Connector
oops i thought the first one didnt post, ignore the last one.
Highlighted
Ambassador

I hope that @Nighthawk can help you interpret the numbers. I am just guessing, but my suspicion in the case of my numbers I posted is that the Line Rate is potentially the limit Telus has imposed on the line (based on the service you are paying for), because line 1 and 2 are identical. The Attainable Line Rate may be a measure of the quality of the line. In my case the SNR is better on Line 1 and the Attainable line rate is also higher. If I am right then it is basically saying the line is capable to deliver more than what I am limited to. Not sure where the TV demand fits into this...

Connector
what would a normal downstream/upstream be for internet 50?
Highlighted
Rockstar

@Jsun  Here are all the speeds.  Got this from tech on the 11th. Copper first  down then up 15-5-------25-10----50-15-----75-20----100-25-----150-30 T These are available on fiber also but it is then they are equal down and up (50/50) etc. Phone # for copper 310-2255 or 1-800-400-2598.. fiber 1-855-595-5588. I was on chat and got this info from them. Polecat

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jsun  - Those line speeds are tight for 50mbps. With only about 58mbps combined line speed (your real world top speed will be slightly less), Optik could eat into your bandwidth and affect the speed you get on other devices. In my area, each line is only 25mbps so the maximum Telus let me have with Optik TV is 25mbps for internet on one line, and another 25mbps on the second line dedicated specifically for Optik. That's likely what they should have done in your area to avoid problems.

@polecat  - The support rep is off on the upload speeds for each of the copper plans. Telus' website still has all the info for the currently offered ones. 75, 100, and 150 aren't offered on DSL currently. There also isn't a fibre 50 plan on the website. 25 then 75.

Plan	        Down     Up
---------------------------
 15 (DSL)         15      1
 25 (DSL)         25      5
 25 (Fibre)       25     25
 50 (DSL)         50     10
 75 (Fibre)       75     75
 150   "         150    150
 300   "         300    300
 750   "         750    750
 1000  "         940    940
 1500  "        1500    940
===========================

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

@Jsun 

What are your Attainable Line Rates? These should be what the router thinks the line is capable of. Also what is your SNR of each line? 

If you are using Windows I find the Snipping Tool under Windows accessories very handy for this kind of stuff. You just use New, Click and drag to highlight the area you want to snip, and then Edit, Copy. Here you just right click and paste the image.

Also which model of Telus router are you using? T3200M?

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Nighthawk said "75, 100, and 150 aren't offered on DSL currently"

Interesting. They must be trying to push fiber. I find no reason to switch from DSL 75 to fiber. 

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Nighthawk  Well what can i say that is what they me. Still upset about the 6 hr transfer to gmail for i platform that is substandard. And watching all the problems that some people are having.

Highlighted
Ambassador
100 is still available on dsl as I am getting installed at my new place next week. I was told by the agent that it isn’t advertised but available.
Highlighted
Ambassador
I will post my speeds when installed.
Highlighted
Ambassador

@buckycat, based on my readings 100 Mbps may be possible. If I take 85% of my total attainable I get 100 Mbps. Seems there is room, but that may depend on your actual copper line lengths and noise.