cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20mbps download speed or lower when I should be getting 40-50! 2 or lower upload speed.

Jsun
Organizer
I have been having issues with my wifi for a few months now (since we moved into a new house) and I feel like I have tried everything and i’m out of ideas now so ANY help would be great! So around about June, after we moved in the wifi seemed okay at first. I would get about 45 mbps download speed while playing video games (around 30-40 ping depending on the servers). Keep in mind, I have a 50 mbps download speed plan, non-fibre. About a week or two later, I would start having lag spikes or drops in the download speed. I’m talking it would drop down to around 5-10 mbps download speed (around 600 ping). I would have these drops every few seconds/minutes and they would last for maybe 10-30 seconds. So we called telus, and they sent a technician. The technician tested the speed via ethernet. He tested our router at the time and also a new one he had brought. The new one had faster speeds (around 50) so he just gave us that one. He also moved the boosters further from the router so it wouldn’t cause conjunction. So this had fixed the problem for about a few days, and then I started getting speed drops again. I ended up trying many things. Putting a fan on the router, restarting the router, etc... I ended up dealing with it till about mid-August until it became even slower. Instead of only having drops in the speed, it would STAY at a slower speed. It would just stay at a steady 10-20 mbps download speed and go up to 35-45 for a few seconds or minutes and then drop back down. (keep in mind this is when i’m the ONLY one on the wifi). So I called telus again, and they sent a technician. This time, the technician said it was switching from 2.4G and 5G, so he made it two different networks for me instead of it just being automatic. He also gave me a “secondary router” to help with the amount of devices that could be causing conjunction. So it worked for probably two days, but I was still getting miniature speed drops. (20-30) mbps. A few days ago, it has gone back to normal, even before the second time the technician came. The speeds are staying at around 15 and only going up to 40-45 for a few minutes or seconds. Even after I restart my router, It’s fast for maybe half an hour, with 45 mbps then all of a sudden it drops to around 20 mbps. Keep in mind this even happens when i’m not playing video games. Just on my phone, being the ONLY one using the wifi. I use speedtest by Ookla to test my speeds. Please, help me find a solution, anything will help!
43 REPLIES 43

Yes. It’s secured. I also have access to who’s on the network. I called a friend who’s daughter works for Telus, she said that unless the green lights on the back of the router from the telephone lights are flashing, the router is fine. So since i’m getting less than 30 mbps via ethernet, it’s the weak connection coming in from the lines and we need to ask them to make the window they have open for the connection wider and increase it because we aren’t getting what we’re supposed to be. I also found out that they already don’t include the amount of wifi ur TVs use in terms of it affecting your mbps. I’m not very good at explaining it, but your TVs should not affect whether your wifi goes under 50 or not. Why? Because they already gave you the extra “wifi” through the lines to cover for it, and security cameras too. meaning if they were to give you the same amount of wifi, but let’s say the TVs disappeared but still on wifi 50, you would be getting 75-80 mbps download speed but they didn’t increase it enough so now i’m getting around 30 via ethernet. My point is, they already put the amount of wifi your TVs use in consideration and don’t include it in the wifi 50. Sorry for my bad explanation I am just trying to re -explain what I was told.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jsun  - The connection itself has overhead built in to it to allow for separate bandwidth for the TV so that it doesn't affect the rest of your devices. Depending on the maximum available speed on the lines, that overhead sometimes isn't too big.

If there are 11 other wireless networks in range, it's entirely possible there is too much interference coming from them. There could also be environmental factors in your house that could interfere as well. Wireless speeds are never guaranteed since there are so many things that can affect them. The ethernet speed is going to be the key. If it's consistently 30mbps, contact Telus. They may need to ensure the connection to the modem is fast enough.

Does your modem have one or two phone cords attached to it?

To see what your connection speed is:

1. Log in to the modem and then click Status at the top.
  2. On the left column click on Line 1 Status on the left, and then scroll to the bottom.
  3. We need to know what both numbers are next to Line Rate.
  4. If you have a second phone line connected, on the left column click on Line 2 Status, and then scroll to the bottom again.
  5. We need to know what both numbers are next to Line Rate.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Jsun,

My thoughts are that there is no way that Telus can reserve part of the copper coming into your house for TV. It is true that they do not charge you for data used by the regular TV. But as far as bandwidth goes, the TV has to add to the demand. I believe the TV uses the 5 GHz WiFi if you have wireless set boxes in your home. My main TV PVR is ethernet, but the remote set top one is wireless. I would think it adds to the 5 GHz bandwidth demand, but I seldom use it.

As @Nighthawk mentions find out if you have two phone lines coming into your router, or check via the router menu. My memory is fading of the hoops I went though, but I believe I started out with a single phone line at Internet 25, and then signed up for Internet 50. They tried to make it work on a single line, but in the end, I believe that is when they connected up the second unused phone line and found that it had a "tap" on it. Once the tap was removed I got good speed, but obviously from my tests yesterday, I am not getting 75 Mbps with my WiFi...

It has two phone cords. The technician that came today gave us a new router. It was fine till her left then it dropped to once again 20-30 mbps ETHERNET. Wireless was 0.16 mbps at one point. So it’s not a problem with the router.

@Jsun 

Not sure if you have looked at the Line status as suggested by @Nighthawk ? For what it is worth here is what I see for my T3200M router. Note that you have to be signed to the router to see this information. The normal user name is admin and the password unless you have changed it is normally on the side of the router. 

Line 1 Status

RonAKA_0-1600217454824.png

Line 2 Status

RonAKA_1-1600217517287.png

@Nighthawk may be able to explain better than I can what this means, but I guess it is a line quality measure and the maximum data transfer rate. At least in theory it would be the sum of the two lines, but I would suspect there is some overhead involved that would cut into that simplistic total.

May I ask how you log into the modem??

Just enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser URL bar.

The details including the router password should be on the side of the router.

Line 1 downstream : 29841 kbps
Line 1 upstream : 1082 kbps
Line 2 downstream : 28430 kbps
Line 2 upstream : 1086 kbps

I hope that @Nighthawk can help you interpret the numbers. I am just guessing, but my suspicion in the case of my numbers I posted is that the Line Rate is potentially the limit Telus has imposed on the line (based on the service you are paying for), because line 1 and 2 are identical. The Attainable Line Rate may be a measure of the quality of the line. In my case the SNR is better on Line 1 and the Attainable line rate is also higher. If I am right then it is basically saying the line is capable to deliver more than what I am limited to. Not sure where the TV demand fits into this...

what would a normal downstream/upstream be for internet 50?

@Jsun  Here are all the speeds.  Got this from tech on the 11th. Copper first  down then up 15-5-------25-10----50-15-----75-20----100-25-----150-30 T These are available on fiber also but it is then they are equal down and up (50/50) etc. Phone # for copper 310-2255 or 1-800-400-2598.. fiber 1-855-595-5588. I was on chat and got this info from them. Polecat

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jsun  - Those line speeds are tight for 50mbps. With only about 58mbps combined line speed (your real world top speed will be slightly less), Optik could eat into your bandwidth and affect the speed you get on other devices. In my area, each line is only 25mbps so the maximum Telus let me have with Optik TV is 25mbps for internet on one line, and another 25mbps on the second line dedicated specifically for Optik. That's likely what they should have done in your area to avoid problems.

@polecat  - The support rep is off on the upload speeds for each of the copper plans. Telus' website still has all the info for the currently offered ones. 75, 100, and 150 aren't offered on DSL currently. There also isn't a fibre 50 plan on the website. 25 then 75.

Plan	        Down     Up
---------------------------
 15 (DSL)         15      1
 25 (DSL)         25      5
 25 (Fibre)       25     25
 50 (DSL)         50     10
 75 (Fibre)       75     75
 150   "         150    150
 300   "         300    300
 750   "         750    750
 1000  "         940    940
 1500  "        1500    940
===========================

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk said "75, 100, and 150 aren't offered on DSL currently"

Interesting. They must be trying to push fiber. I find no reason to switch from DSL 75 to fiber. 

100 is still available on dsl as I am getting installed at my new place next week. I was told by the agent that it isn’t advertised but available.

I will post my speeds when installed.

@buckycat, based on my readings 100 Mbps may be possible. If I take 85% of my total attainable I get 100 Mbps. Seems there is room, but that may depend on your actual copper line lengths and noise. 

@Nighthawk  Well what can i say that is what they me. Still upset about the 6 hr transfer to gmail for i platform that is substandard. And watching all the problems that some people are having.

Line 1 downstream : 29841 kbps
Line 1 upstream : 1082 kbps
Line 2 downstream : 28430 kbps
Line 2 upstream : 1149 kbps

oops i thought the first one didnt post, ignore the last one.

@Jsun 

What are your Attainable Line Rates? These should be what the router thinks the line is capable of. Also what is your SNR of each line? 

If you are using Windows I find the Snipping Tool under Windows accessories very handy for this kind of stuff. You just use New, Click and drag to highlight the area you want to snip, and then Edit, Copy. Here you just right click and paste the image.

Also which model of Telus router are you using? T3200M?