Question on Data Usage

Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Well I know watching stuff through the Pik App does not count towards the data usage, but how about watching youtube, Netflix or any other apps that is  install.  Does data use through other app count towards data usage?

Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@Pappy yes it does.  Only watching live and VOD Pik TV content does not count towards usage.  All Android apps like YouTube and Netflix count.

VanG
Connector
It looks that one can view live TV on Pik app on iPad/tablet also. Would that count towards data usage if I am in the home?
Community Power User
Community Power User

VanG wrote:
It looks that one can view live TV on Pik app on iPad/tablet also. Would that count towards data usage if I am in the home?

According to this article, yes, you consume your data allotment if not using the Pik TV device.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User

The name "Pik TV" and "app" can be confusing depending on the device you are using it on..... here's how I think it works...

The following WILL count to your home data consumption

• Pik TV app on your Android or iOS device.  It will really count if you are using the Pik TV app on cellular data.
  • Android streaming apps (eg Pluto, YouTube) on the Telus set top box
  • Netflix apps on the Telus set top box
  • PikTV on someone else's set top box

The following will NOT count to your data consumption

• Pik TV app on the Telus set top box
Cwest
Friendly Neighbour

Nice.

I got an email from Telus saying I used 75 of my internet usage.    So, how to do they take off the usage from the Pik TV Box?  

Cwest
Friendly Neighbour

75%.   Sorry.   Forgot that.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Cwest  PikTV data is not counted on your overall home internet usage, streamed from the device. (Any other apps consume data. Netflix, YouTube etc).

If you use the app on your mobile device you would use data on your cap. Are you sure it's not for your mobility account?

Cwest
Friendly Neighbour

Talked to Telus (Tech Support, and Customer Service)    Looks to be Youtube on the Pik TV that has been eating up all my data.   Didn't really expect all youtube to be 1080 and not able to lower the rate.  Smiley Sad

So, no more youtube on the Pik TV Box.

Cwest
Friendly Neighbour

How does telus tell the difference between the Data being used on the PIK tv Box, and what isn't used by the Box?

Community Power User
Community Power User

I expect it is separated by IP address or similar, just like Optik TV data is separated from the rest of the data stream. It is pretty easy to determine which App on a device is consuming data.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"