Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS TV Feature Updates - Ongoing

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Dear Neighbours, 

We’re experimenting with different formats to assure you we’re listening and working on improvements to the TELUS TV platforms. We have frequent releases designed to tackle the platform's immediate and long-term stability, and we’ll do our best to keep this thread up to date with each new release to celebrate our wins together.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list; minor customer-facing fixes and non-customer-facing backend work are not included. 

Q3 2024:

• Bulk Delete for Recordings: You can now delete multiple recorded episodes simultaneously, making managing your recordings easier.
  • Episode List Access: When playing a recorded episode, you can see a list of all other episodes from the same series directly in the player.
  • Binge-Watching Made Easy: Enjoy seamless binge-watching of recorded episodes, as they now play sequentially without any interruptions.
  • Order Cloud PVR Directly: You can now order Cloud PVR service directly from your set-top box for added convenience.
  • Start from the Beginning: Easily start recordings and VOD (Video on Demand) content from the beginning, even if you joined late!

Q2 2024:

• Recording improvements: 
    • Eliminated the skipping of the first episode when scheduling recording series
    • Reduction of removed recordings due to metadata inconsistencies
    • Series schedule will remain in the recording manager after a season ends
  • Launch of Free Ad-Supported Streaming Channels so you can watch them anytime, anywhere, without a subscription
  • Apple TV interface redesign for better navigation
  • Custom date/time picker on Android mobile guide
  • Remove content from the resume lane by press & hold (long press) on items in the lane

Q1 2024:

• Recording improvements: Series recording on news-related programs
  • Guide filter selection such as “my favourite channel” remains after turning the TV off and on
  • Search results are now expanded to include third-party streaming apps availability in the program detail page
  • Optimized search functionality via content type and cast member names
  • Default focus on home - requiring only one click of the “back” button to return to the last watched stream
  • User experience and design improvement on Apple TV and iOS

Q4 2023:

• Additional 4K channels on the TELUS TV Digital Box and Android TV devices 
  • New and Live tags in the TV Guide
  • Increased Cloud Recording duration to 90 days
  • Pay Per View events are now available for purchase
  • Recording improvements 
    • Unviewable recordings can now be deleted
    • The recordings manager now shows the newest recordings first
    • Bug fixes related to recordings going missing
    • Bug fixes for sports recording auto-extension 
  • Surround Sound is now available
  • Dismissing the “next episode” prompt is now working correctly

Q3 2023

• Chromecast - cast from TELUS TV+ mobile app to Chromecast-enabled receivers
  • Game Zone - a dedicated zone on the Telus TV Digital Box with over 180 free and simple-to-play games using your mobile device as the controller 
  • Resume from your Apps row on the home screen to resume shows from Disney+, Apple TV+, Prime Video and more

Q2 2023 

• Playback Performance Toggle - A new option in the Settings menu aimed at improving video playback on older Android devices (mobile/tablet).
  • Pause Live TV for up to 15 minutes on the TELUS TV Digital Box and TELUS TV+ app
  • Restart a show from the beginning that aired up to 30 hours in the past
  • Profile improvements
    • Recordings only show in individual profiles
    • ‘Recommended for you’ personalized by profile
    • ‘Favourite channels’ and ‘Favourite movies & series’ by profile
  • Live Sports recordings are automatically extended; 90 minutes for tennis & 60 minutes for all other sports

Regards,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood TV Product Development Team.

176 REPLIES 176

Kwallz
Organizer
Any more updates ? Still hoping we can customize the home page, or set options to go straight to tv vs trying to navigate away from the home page

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

There is an update coming in Feb. The homepage setting is tentatively a part of the Feb release, I'll update the list once the features are launched. 

Edit: I may have spoken too soon on this. The upcoming release will make it easier to default back to live playback with one click of the back button as opposed to the current method where users need to hold the back button down. It's a slight improvement while we work on customization of home page. 

@Optik-Kate 

Please change this to a month end report of what was accomplished of what is tops on the priority to be done.

I know you are the messenger. Did anything get done in January, and almost end of February now.

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

We have a more significant update at the end of this month, and then I'll update the list!

MrSL
Leader

Any update on when we can modify start and end times for recordings?

@MrSL Feb 2026 definitely maybe

Anybody out there?

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

The architecture work required for this will take us to the end of the calendar year if no further delay! 

To be able to edit start and stop times ? All the previous boxes already had that feature.
What about being able to select the team you want to record vs having to record every single hockey game that comes on. I am getting tired of deleting 10 NHL games just to watch 1 Canucks game 🤣

ExTelis
Organizer

Hey Optik-Kate,

You might know, why is the Telus TV app not available on my Roku Streaming Stick, and it's not available in the Roku Store ?  (I only have Pik-TV)

I keep searching, but it's not there..

Just wondering.

Thanks

Ex-Telis

Hi @ExTelis , the TELUS TV+ App is not on Roku because we do not currently support it. We're working on expanding the supported platforms. For example, Amazon Fire TV will be next, but the timeline for Roku is yet to be determined. 

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

The list has been updated with features from the past couple of updates (Jan & Feb). Thank you for everyone's patience. Please ensure you're on the latest box/BYOD version - 1.24.2.200

This new TV product is, by far, the worst product TELUS has released. Endless disappointment—I was lucky I could switch back to the Arris equipment, for now at least.

I wonder if they offer a revert to the old boxes for new customers ? Have not been impressed at all with how many features and basic functions the new boxes are missing over the old technology.

It never hurts to ask. The picture quality is so soft on the Android boxes compared to the Arris equipment, too. As a former broadcaster, quality is important, but I realize in the age of streaming on smaller devices it’s less of an issue for most.

How do we update to the latest version?

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Updates should be pushed to your devices automatically over the next week, but you can always check for system updates in Settings > Device settings > Device Preferences > About > System update.

The latest App version is 1.24.2.200 (found in Settings > System information).

I confirm the update 1.24.2.200 was automatically made.

I also thank all involved for letting favorites stick when guide is chosen

Thanks for the directions.
It has not automatically updated, and when I follow your directions it tells me my system is up to date and there are no available updates.
Currently showing app version 1.23.11.400_release

Montell
Coach

My telus tv box is also showing no update so far.

So are you developing the android tv app in tandem with the official telus box? Can I expect my shield tv telus tv app to also be updated? Last update was November 21st which was getting a bit lengthy after 3 months....

I am pretty happy with the android tv app on my shield, obviously some bugs with recordings need to be sorted out, and in general I think everyone would like to see a bump in picture quality so it looks like the old optik tv system when I had fibre with the old system it was very impressive picture. I think thats probably the number 1 wish everyone has.

I dont use the telus tv box and convinced my friend to switch from shaw for this reason this week. He also uses sony android tv telus app. He was done with additional telecom boxes and remotes being required. So I really hope the android tv app will also receive this update soon.

The only other big glaring feature for me personally missing from the android tv telus app is ppv purchases. I still have the cheap telus tv android box for this reason only.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Yes, there is an update to Android TV as well.

Google and Apple have different policies and best practice guidelines on app update rollouts. For example, as soon as a new app is published to the Apple App Store, it can be manually updated by anyone. If you have automatic updates turned on, you will get the app pushed to your device according to a set rollout schedule over a few days to a week. For Android, you have to wait your turn; you can't manually update until the end of the rollout schedule for automatic updates.