the future is grossly overpriced

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

french_ticklers
Organizer

@Telus want to keep your customers? offer them a better incentive than paying more! #keepMyplan

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 8.31.19.png

<script charset="utf-8" type="text/javascript" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"></script>

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

The solution to your problem already exists @french_ticklers 

Buy a phone off-contract and you can keep your legacy plan. Smiley Happy

Contracts and subsidies drive up the price of rate plans, if consumers want better plans, they need to pony up the money for devices. 

iPhone power user
french_ticklers
Organizer

@Dark_Knight 

&nbsp;

thank you for your reply. I understand that I could buy a phone, and that the ecomonics of it all inflate the price of rate plans. What Im trying to get across is that the big three carriers are fixing prices, mirroring off each other and royally ripping us off.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

after a couple of hours on the phone with loyalty, I actually managed to talk them down to 80$ for the rate plan I posted above.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

maybe a few more hours on the phone with them and they will give in..

As the @Dark_Knight mentioned, purchasing a device outright would be your best bet if you wish to have the math in your favour and over the long term. Given that contracts subsidize devices that cost up to $800+ over a shorter period than they used to (2 years vs 3 years) various price changes have occurred as a result.

french_ticklers
Organizer

I fully understand the math, but the bottom line is that it is a total rip off. 

bell actually ofered me, for the 95$ per month a total of 12gb of data, where as telus want over 110 for only 6gb..

tsizzle
Ambassador

Why do you expect Telus to honor something that was sold as a short-term promotion forever? Would a bank allow you to keep your mortgage rate from 5 years ago? Obviously not, why should Telus?

You got a great promotion for 3 years and continue to enjoy it while off contract, just because you feel entitled to your services for really no logical reason, does not mean they are price fixing or colluding - its just good business. As many have said, want to keep your plan? Buy your phone outright.  Want a subsidized phone from Telus? Accept their terms & conditions. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Most Helpful
french_ticklers
Organizer

@tsizzle 

thank you for your insightful comment. while i respect your point of view, I must disagree because without a struggle, there can be no progress. 

after 3 days of negotiations, Im happy to annouce that Telus has aggreed to extend my existing contract for another 2 years, and subsidize a new device. 

in fact they even added extra perks

and that, sir, is great business

tsizzle
Ambassador

Were you able to keep your 6GB plan?

french_ticklers
Organizer

hi @tsizzle 

thank you for the follow up.

yes, they kept my 6Gb data

the key was to say " bell is offering me 12Gb"

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

I doubt that was the 'key'. I'm sure the key was the fact you called back several times over 3 days...at that point it doesn't make sense for them financially for them to keep saying no. Smiley Tongue

iPhone power user
Highlighted
Jonathan
Advocate
Another way around this issue is that for my clients (I work at a multi carrier cell phone store and Telus is our favorite but hard to sell lol) who want to upgrade and are really close to the $70 mark but want to keep a grandfathered/retention high GB data plan, just find some add-ons that add up to the $70 mark and then the system will accept a renewal.