cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges when Cell Service Turned Off/Data Turned Off - Wifi Only

EK
Friendly Neighbour

Turned off my Cell service and Data Roaming while in Mexico - Used WiFi only - Did not make any outbound calls on WiFi-  Still was charged Roaming Fees  when my phone rang - and there was no one there - When I was with Rogers - used Wifi Calling with no issues and no Fees ( That was about 2 yrs ago) 

I have a corporate plan - 

I checked the Telus sight when I returned and from what I gathered - They do not allow wifi calling on a wifi network without charging you . Any one else go through this ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I set the VPN to either Toronto or Vancouver.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Syaoran
All-Star
What do you mean by turning off your cell service? Unless you removed your SIM card or put your device in Airplane Mode before turning on WiFi and left it in Airplane Mode the entire time you were outside of Canada. Your device would still be able to connect to towers while roaming, causing the charges.

@Syaoran Not true.

You can manually disable cellular in your phone's settings. You can keep the phone in Airplane and use Wi-Fi calling (with VPN set to a Canadian location). At this time, this works until Telus decides to block VPN ports (which is becoming more frequent now). For instance, Costco warehouses in Canada that now have Wi-Fi block VPN use. 

Another "tip" to prevent your phone from roaming is to manually select Telus within the carrier settings. Should you accidentally turn-off Airplane mode, the phone will search for Telus. Along with this, you need to disable "data roaming" in the cellular settings of your phone. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

when my phone rang - and there was no one there”
So you answered your phone? Then you pay roaming fees for that use. Telus does not offer Wi-Fi calling service outside Canada.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

It works with a VPN.

EK
Friendly Neighbour
Oh...didn't know that .....Thanks, will definitley look at that
Did you set Canada as the home base on the VPN ?

Thanks for the reply

EK
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks !

On Sunday, February 25, 2024 at 12:21:30 p.m. EST, TELUS Neighbourhood <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi EK,

Syaoran (Rockstar) posted a new reply in Mobility Services on 02-25-2024 12:21 PM:

Re: Roaming Charges when Cell Service Turned Off/Data Turned Off - Wifi On

Reply | Accept as Solution | Give Kudos

TELUS Neighbourhood sent this message to [mod edit: private info]
You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

If you do not want to receive notification for this message, unsubscribe the topic or mute the message.
To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

EK
Friendly Neighbour
I did speak with them - they explained it
When I was with Rogers - I had wifi calling - simply was part of my air time, no roaming fees
Based on my experience with Rogers, I mistakenly thoght that it would be the same with Telus

When in the UK used an e-sim so no issues.

Will be reconsidering how to manage going forward as there are more travel plans

Thanks for the reply

@EK Currently, only Rogers and Freedom don't restrict Wi-Fi calling outside Canada. 

With a mobile device though, it can be tricky to keep your VPN enabled 24/7. If you have it on "always on" then you might lose complete connectivity. It's not reliable in my experience. 

EK
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for the reply