cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Bring it back” amount that you have to pay if you decide to keep phone at end of plan

Lucie
Just Moved In

Hi

Does anybody know where to find the specific “Bring it back” amount by phone model? I mean the amount that you have to pay at the end of 2 years plan if you decide to keep the phone? They talk about that amount but it is not specified anywhere, I looked...

Thank you!

35 REPLIES 35

Hi @Septra777 ,

Previous to my reply, you stated "S20+ has 320$ Bring-it-back and 300$ device credit."

I apologize for not addressing your question using those exact terms. Instead I refereed to the TELUS website where it displays the pricing breakdown. I used the exact terms from the website to avoid any miscommunication. After reviewing these prices, I found two prices that matched your quote but did not end in "device credit" The two pieces that matched was the "Bring-It-Back Bonus -$300" and the "Bring-It-Backᵀᴹ -$320". There are no other pricing which matches $300 with the word "device credits". Therefor I made the calculated assumption that that maybe the incorrect terminology was used "device credit". This is very common.

Now that I am aware you did mean the word "device credit" and that the offer was "EPP" that changes everything. 

To reduce confusion, and to find the answer to your question, you will see the exact Bring-It-Back amount on  your service agreement that was either send my mail, or email based on your preference, and is also accessible through your TELUS online account.

I have attached a picture and highlighted using green boxes where to find the exact price to expect after your two year agreement if you keep the device. The service agreement will be your proof if your Bring-It-Back price is higher than displayed on this agreement. The blue boxes are the date of your agreement.

BIB Options.jpg

I hope that helps resolve your question.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

@BrandomT

I made an order for an S20 Plus before yesterday but it wasn't bring it back and I cancelled it yesterday.

Should I place another order this time with the bring it back option so I can see the service agreement?

Isn't there a way for you to tell me what's it going to say?

I feel like I'm going to be rolling dice.

Hi @Septra777 ,

Should I place another order this time with the bring it back option so I can see the service agreement?

• To answer your question exactly, you could place an order for the S20 Plus with the Bring-It-Back program. Once the order is complete, you will receive an email with your service agreement. You can find the section where it states the Bring-It-Back amount (as shown on the picture I previously posted). If you are satisfied with that value, keep the order. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel it the same day. If you proceed to do this, make sure you place the order in the morning, that way you have time to call the same day and cancel before the department closes. Trying to cancel after the first day will cause more complications. This is a messy but effective solution. 

Isn't there a way for you to tell me what's it going to say? Yes, but at this point, you have been given different answers by different agents. If an agent were to give you a definitive answer based on fact, there will still be doubt (I would also have doubt if I was in your situation). The service agreement is the contract. What it states on there is 100% fact, and your proof as a customer to defend what was agreed. 

Alternatively, you can do a few calculations based on your canceled service agreement to find the Bring-It-Back price after 24 months.
    1. Look at your old service agreement (which was canceled). Take note of the Easy Payment costs/month.
    2. Take that Easy Payment cost and times it by 24. Now you know the exact amount (after discounts) you will pay to own the device.
    3. Login to your EPP site and find the Easy Payment costs with the Bring-It-Back program.
    4. Take that Easy Payment cost and times it by 24.
    5. Take the answer for step 2 and takeaway from the answer in step 4. That is the price you will pay after the 24 months are finished if you chose the Bring-It-Back program.

To answer your question indirectly, my recommendation is to avoid the Bring-It-Back program entirely. Based on the context of your previous messages (correct me if I'm wrong), you are looking to keep your device after the service agreement is ended. The only reason to choose the Bring-It-Back program is for those who prefer not to keep their phone and get a new one after their service agreement is finished. 

Reason behind my recommendation:
Whether you choose the Bring-it-Back program or not, at the end of your 24 month agreement, you would pay the exact same price for the phone. I understand you are looking for the best deal; who doesn't want the best deal. Choosing Bring-It-Back or not does not help you get a better deal (unless you will bring the device back). The Bring-It-Back program is just a different way to pay for a phone (lower monthly with buyout at the end, instead of a higher monthly with no buyout at the end).

Here is a example to demonstrate (Note: pricing is not for the S20+):

• Without Bring-It-Back
    Pay $0.00 upfront, Easy Payments $41.66 for 24 months, after 24 months pay $0.00 and keep the phone. ($41.66 x 24 months = $1000)

• With Bring-It-Back
    Pay $0.00 upfront, Easy Payments $20.83 for 24 months, after 24 months pay $500 and keep the phone. ($20.83 x 24 months + $500 = $1000)

Whether you choose the Bring-it-Back program or not, at the end of your 24 month agreement, you would pay the exact same price for the phone.  If we add discounts or promotions to a device, whether you choose the Bring-It-Back program or not, you will still pay the exact same price for the phone. 

Does that help at all?

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

@BrandonT 

I just made the order again but this time with Bring-It-Back and it worked! My service contract says 320$! I can't believe.  The worse part is the rep called me back a few min ago and I told her we were having this chat on this forum and that I thought it might be resolved with you BrandonT so she asked me to send her a link and I refused.  Yesterday, she thanked me for pointing out this "error".  Last thing I want is that she finds out about this chat and then she will report it..  

Here's my service agreement and it CLEARLY says 320$ 

At the end of the Bring-It-Back Program:
At the end of the 24 month term, June 24, 2022, you have two options to settle your BIB Program Amount $320.00:
Option 1
Bring your device back in good working condition to a
participating TELUS store or retail location.

Option 2
Pay back your BIB Program Amount $320.00. If you do not
choose Option 1 before the BIB Program End Date, you will
be charged this amount on your next bill, and you will no
longer have the option to return your device.
If you want to exit the Bring-It-Back program before the end of the 24 month Commitment Period:
You still have two options:
Option 1
Bring your device back in good working condition to a
participating TELUS store or retail location any time after 6
months from the BIB Program Effective Date, June 25, 2020.

Option 2
Keep your device and pay back your BIB Program Amount
$320.00.

Hi @Septra777 ,

I just made the order again but this time with Bring-It-Back and it worked! My service contract says 320$!

FANTASTIC! That's such great news 🙂

She asked me to send her a link and I refused.  Yesterday, she thanked me for pointing out this "error".  Last thing I want is that she finds out about this chat and then she will report it..  

I'm sure the agent was just wanting to learn more about this for her future calls. These extra discounts are new with the Bring-It-Back program, and detailed documentation has yet to be created. But I will respect your decision. Instead I will request the internal documentation to better explain how these "device credits" work for EPP and Bring-It-Back to avoid this confusion in the future.

Enjoy your new phone with all your discounts 🙂

Hi @BrandonT,

I was trying to get that deal with @Septra777, and ultimately I gave up because of all the confusion and now the price increase is tripled even with EPP  

FYI, I work at the same corp as @Septra777, if I knew what was the real price, I would have ordered.

I'm currently with Rogers and my contract end next week and I would like to know if I can get this deal.  

Many thanks

Hi @system ,

I am not sure if this offer is still current, so I suggest calling the EPP department 1-866-848-3587 and see what current offers are available. If there is any confusion with the pricing over the phone, once the order is complete, you will receive a service agreement. This agreement outlines the exact pricing to expect on a monthly basis. From that point you have a 30 day return period if there are discrepancies. 

Hope that helps.

Hopefully I can clarify things a bit better.  

The Bring it Back amount is what you will be paying back if decide to keep the phone or it’s damaged and do not have Device Care or Apple Care+ to replace the device.

The device discounts are a savings on the device that you do not have to pay back as long as you keep the device for the term of your contract. If you were to cancel or renew early then you would be required to pay back a portion of the device discount as it is divided by 24 months as well. It’s basically a way of TELUS rewarding you and helping to lower the phone prices while also protecting themselves so that someone isn’t able to set up a new contract cancel in a month or two and TELUS is out the discounted amount.

@BrandonT

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.  🙂

I haven't been around the neighborhood in a very long time, but I was looking around for just this information, and @BrandonT, you helped quite a lot. I see where @Septra777 was having a problem. It's very confusing, mostly because the trademark symbol gets in the way. On my order, Telus said I'd repay the Bring It Back TM amount, and only one amount had the TM. I didn't do that anyhow; feeling like I'm renting my phone is creepy, you know. 🤗 

See, this is what my order said for Bring It Back today:

Here's how it all breaks down

• Retail Price

$1875

• Bring-It-Back Bonus

-$225

• Easy Payment Bonus Discount

-$295

• Promotional discount

-$500

• Bring-It-Backᵀᴹ

-$150

• Total savings

-$1170

• Device repayment amount

$705

• Due today

$0

• Due monthly

$29.38/mo.

Accept the Bring‑It‑Back™ agreement to proceed.

At the end of your 24-month term, return your device to any TELUS location in good working condition. Or, simply repay the original Bring‑It‑Back™ amount if you’d like to keep your device.

I agree to return my device after 24 months, or repay the original Bring‑It‑Back amount.

See the confusion in that? Too little information, a few more words for clarity would help. I don't expect to repay a bonus. Maybe put "Bring It Back repay" next to the amounts, or, I don't know, something.

@BillTelusCust

I understand you're not an employee but you're still voicing your opinion and I appreciate that we agree because I feel like no one does right now. Just the fact that you're engaged in this discussion, I really appreciate it because @BrsndonT and others can see that it's illogical.

@Septra777 Do you think it is worthwhile giving such a negative response to someone who is trying to help you clarify things?

This is not some big scam,  Phones are expensive and people seem to want to get new ones every two years.  Furthermore, there's been pushback against embedding the costs of the phone without showing it. The device balance is to show you what you have to pay if you want to replace your phone before two years is up - say it gets broken or stolen or something.

Telus has millions of customers. If this was some big scam, it would be all over the place. Instead, it is just - you.  It is not a scam. Phones cost money. They tell you what you pay, what you get.  You can go to any carrier you want, and the phone still has to be paid for - and you won't get a better network than the Telus one.  You may get one that's nearly the same, or just about as good, but you won't get better.  Why don't you sit down, take a fresh look at the numbers, compare them to other places, and forget about whatever stressful experience you had.

So tell me, you think its fair that if wasn't careful asking questions and I would've just ordered an S20 Plus and two years down the line, I'm being asked to pay 620$ instead of 320 based on the fact that it clearly says in my offer that I only need to pay "Bring it back" and no mention of "device credit" is fair? Negative response is deserved I clearly explain my situation and everything I mention is ignored. It IS scam because a LOT of people are going to unwillingly be in this situation in a couple of years. Just me you say? Go on red flag forums and see many posts there are regarding these offers. Phones cost money? Of course I'm not denying that why are you stating these known facts, I didn't say otherwise. Telus is responsible for what they advertise. If they make a mistake, why should the customer be obligated to pay for it? I love Telus more than any carrier and I'm sad that this experience had to happen. And please don't tell me to sit down and look the numbers, I've looked at them more than anyone.. This is I called since they didn't add up. If I wasn't a responsible person, I would've just ordered. Stressful experience? Why do you assume no had a stressful experience? Please,...Real nice way of addressing someone you don't know.. I'm not here being condescending to others, I'm giving facts that I can prove and expressing how I feel. You know how I felt when I spoke to that rep today (which was awesome)? When she told me they couldn't match the offer I sent to them which comes from Telus! ? When she told me they would correct the offer with the sales team? I felt used because I was trying to be honest and make Telus aware that ok fine there might be a mistake, give me the deal I shouldn't have to pay for this mistake but all I get now is a big thank you for helping Telus correct a mistake that no one knew about except me.

@BillTelusCust

Worse part is you said it yourself a few posts back

"Why would you pay back a "device credit"?
That doesn't make any sense"

If you were in my situation, you'd be saying the same thing

Is it perhaps a device balance?

That's the amount you're paying off over two years to reduce the value of the phone.  At the end of the two years, the device balance would be what you'd have to pay to keep the phone.  Or you give the phone back at the end of two years and don't pay it.

If the device balance is $320 that is how much you pay to keep the phone at the end of two years.

That's the way I understand it anyway.