cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where am I???

Dieselwrangler
Just Moved In

Why can't Telus figure out where I am? Every time I open this page it sets the region to BC, it's their network I'm logging in from in AB. Shouldn't they be able to figure out where I'm located on their own network. I have the same problem trying to get on my tax account, CRA gives the option of logging in with a provincial ID and the button is for BC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

IP addresses can have a geographical location ID attached to them. Those databases can take weeks to months to update and are independent of the various companies, like Telus, that use them. My IP at one point was in use in Halilfax and I'm in Alberta.  Once in a while I'll come across a rare site that uses one of the databases that hasn't updated since last year. The free databases are updated much less frequently than the paid ones.

The other issue is sometimes browsers aren't saving cookies so and location set by a user on a website may not stay.

When I check the GeoIP records for my IP I still get two locations. Your results may vary depending on how recently your IP address was assigned and when each of the databases update. My IP changed last year.

Examples:

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

polecat
All-Star

@Dieselwrangler    At the top of this page you can change your region. Mine did this along time ago but this solved it.

I do that every time and almost every time it's wrong again. I

@Dieselwrangler  Well maybe check neighbourhood settings and maybe your account settings. That fails try accounting i guess.

It does that for me as well but I only need to reset it every week or so not every time.

This has been a long standing problem that still hasn't been fixed.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Ideas/Province-Detect/idi-p/33588

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

IP addresses can have a geographical location ID attached to them. Those databases can take weeks to months to update and are independent of the various companies, like Telus, that use them. My IP at one point was in use in Halilfax and I'm in Alberta.  Once in a while I'll come across a rare site that uses one of the databases that hasn't updated since last year. The free databases are updated much less frequently than the paid ones.

The other issue is sometimes browsers aren't saving cookies so and location set by a user on a website may not stay.

When I check the GeoIP records for my IP I still get two locations. Your results may vary depending on how recently your IP address was assigned and when each of the databases update. My IP changed last year.

Examples:

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk I don't think it's a location lookup issue for IP addresses. It always switches to BC for me regardless of whether I'm at home (Alberta) or loggined in to my work VPN (Ontario).

It's likely a cookie issue. When the cookie expires it defaults to BC because that's where Telus HQ is. It should be easy to attach the home province to the user profile and override any default but for some reason Telus has not done this.