cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address

Shane
Leader

Greetings,

The connection to my printer breaks every time the router assigns a new IP address. I would like to assign a static iP address. I called technical support, but I couldn't explain what a static IP is.

I think I have the Actiontec Advanced Wi-Fi Modem (T3200M). I've already assigned a static IP address to the Network Attached Storage (NAS) but I don't remember how I did it.

Thanks,

Shane.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually you wold set the IP address on the printer, ensuring it is outside the DCHP range of the router. Although you can set the DHCP range in your settings, usually choosing an IP above 150 works. Once you have that IP address set in your printer, then it will make the necessary negotiations with the router.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually you wold set the IP address on the printer, ensuring it is outside the DCHP range of the router. Although you can set the DHCP range in your settings, usually choosing an IP above 150 works. Once you have that IP address set in your printer, then it will make the necessary negotiations with the router.

NFtoBC

I got confused. I forgot that I should try this from the printer.

I called Telus a second time, and the other person still didn't know what a static IP address is.

Shane.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Shane wrote:

I called Telus a second time, and the other person still didn't know what a static IP address is.

That’s why you should come here, for the high quality of answers!😇

NFtoBC

@Shane wrote:

I got confused. I forgot that I should try this from the printer.

That's not what I would do.

Leave the printer set as a DHCP client. Reserve an IP address on the T3200M DHCP server page for the printer's MAC address. It doesn't matter which IP address is assigned to the printer but it would be easiest to reserve the one it already has. If you choose a diferent one then you need to power down the printer, wait a bit, and then power it back up for it to pick up the new assigned IP.

I suspect that's what you previously did with your NAS.

1-Log into router

2-Go into advanced setup

3-Under IP Address pick DHCP Reservation

4-Under select MAC Address drop down menu, look for the printer’s MAC address.

The Mac address can be found by logging into the printer’s IP and selecting network.

5-Drop down to selecting (manually enter IP address) and pick a vacant IP.

6-Then apply to save changes.

7-Look below on the DHCP Reservation list and you should see all the assigned IP’s including         

the printer’s IP.

@mellaby wrote:

1-Log into router

2-Go into advanced setup

3-Under IP Address pick DHCP Reservation

4-Under select MAC Address drop down menu, look for the printer’s MAC address.

The Mac address can be found by logging into the printer’s IP and selecting network.

5-Drop down to selecting (manually enter IP address) and pick a vacant IP.

6-Then apply to save changes.

7-Look below on the DHCP Reservation list and you should see all the assigned IP’s including         

the printer’s IP.

Only change I would suggest is:

5-Drop down to selecting (manually enter IP address) and pick a vacant IP the IP the printer currently has.

This will eliminate the need to reboot the printer or reset printer's WiFi connection.