cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding - Port not opened

Kief
Helpful Neighbour
Hi, I'm trying to a host Minecraft server with my ASUS router behind the T3200M modem (provided by Telus)

Here's what it looks like:
T3200M -> ASUS Zen Wifi -> PC

All of these are wired. When I try to host my Minecraft server, people not on the same network cannot connect. I have enabled port bridging on the modem and port forwarded on my ASUS router. As a debugging step, I even connected to the modems network (wirelessly) and proceed to port forward on there, same result. All of this I was checking on a port checker and a friend connecting.

Locally, I can connect to my server just fine using localhost. I can also connect to it using my public ip and even my reverse proxy ran through cloudflare! I have checked on other devices to verify this just wasn't my friend.

For info:

Port: 25565
Windows firewall: Configured for server

Any ideas?
19 REPLIES 19

xray
Hero

@Kief wrote:
I can also connect to it using my public ip

What do you mean by this? Are you inside or outside your network when you do this?

Kief
Helpful Neighbour
Inside

xray
Hero

That's not a valid test of access through your public IP then. It's just doing a loopback inside the router. I didn't think the T3200M could do that.

Kief
Helpful Neighbour

I've managed to get it work, but its werid. I'm currently connected to my T3200M wirelessly, using a port checker I can verify the minecraft server is running, however, im aslo connected via eithernet to my router (which is the child of the T3200M). When I disconnect from my T3200M wirelessly, the port closes. Super weird.

xray
Hero

How are using the port checker? Is it a web site or software/app on your device?

Kief
Helpful Neighbour

Its a website. 

To clarify:

When PC connected to: Modem AND router; port is open

When PC connected to: Router; port is closed

xray
Hero

Is your minecraft server running on the same PC you are testing from? That would explain the behavior if your port forwarding on the Asus router is not set up correctly.

Kief
Helpful Neighbour
I have followed all instructions. DCHP and Port forwarding has been set.

@Kief wrote:
I have followed all instructions. DCHP and Port forwarding has been set.

Set to what?

Did you port forward on both routers?

You have not replied to whether you are running the Minecraft server on the pc that you are testing from.

Kief
Helpful Neighbour

I am running from the PC I have been testing on. Doesn't matter because I have another server and a friend to test off my network.

DCHP has been set to my own local ip on my router, port has been set to TCP and the default minecraft port.

Cheers

@Kief wrote:

I am running from the PC I have been testing on. Doesn't matter because I have another server and a friend to test off my network.

It matters because it explains why it works when you connect that PC to the T3200M.

@Kief wrote:

DCHP has been set to my own local ip on my router, port has been set to TCP and the default minecraft port.

Assign your Asus router to a fixed (DHCP reserved) IP address on the T3200M
Assign your PC server to a fixed (DHCP reserved) IP address on the Asus router
Port forward like this:
T3200M --- [port forwarded to Asus router IP] ---> Asus Router --- [port forwarded to PC server IP] ---> PC server

I have the same routers and the above is how I set up my security camera server which has been working for many years.

Kief
Helpful Neighbour

I cant find my routers ip in the T3200M. It says there are only 4 clients, non of which when I visit come up with my routers web panel

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have port bridging enabled on the T3200M you won't see any device connected to that port.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NovusDev
Just Moved In

As someone who has port forwarded with minecraft server on Telus internet, it is a pain. Your problem appears to not be using the T3200M modem/router for port forwarding. I also have an extra router for myself and I ran into this issue many times. Perhaps you could solve it by enabling router bridging within the admin panel settings, I'm not too sure if it would work since I never tried it with Telus bridging system, however, then the T3200M modem/router will be unusable in the sense of using it as a router.

Perhaps you could forward the port from one router to the other router, I'm however unsure if this is possible with Telus limited tools since they like to restrict our accessibility.

Kief
Helpful Neighbour

Yeah, that's what I have tried too. Port forwarding my own router, turning on bridging. How did you you fix ti?

xray
Hero

Go to the Asus router page that shows the MAC address for the external (WAN) port.

Go to the DHCP Reservation page on the T3200M and look for that MAC address in the drop down in step 1. The currently assigned IP should now be populated for step 2. Apply the change.

Follow a similar process on your Asus router to assign a reserved IP for your PC.

Then set up the port forwards on each router to the respective IP address.

xray
Hero

Ah, I missed part in the original post about using bridged mode. I recall seeing posts about issues port forwarding in that mode. I don't use bridge mode so I can't say if port forwarding works or not.

What WAN IP do you see from the Asus when you use bridging? Is that the IP you are testing?

Kief
Helpful Neighbour

It starts with 64.. I wans't sure. Thats not local

xray
Hero

So if your Asus router is getting an external IP then all you need is the port forward set up to the reserved IP of the PC when it is connect to the Asus router.
Another thing to check is whether the WAN IP shown on the Asus is the same as the IP shown from the port checking web site you use to see if you are behind carrier grade NAT.