cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another "Why am I not getting 1.5 Gig speed?" question

YvrTown
Friendly Neighbour

Hi awesome internet friends.

Just accepted increase to 1.5 Gig service, and agent said that he verified my equipment and no changes would be necessary for me to get the new speed.  (Which, I should have known isn't true).

My Set up

• My building has a central network room with optical cables run to each suite. 
  • Our suites ONLY have optical wall outlets. We don't have network access hubs or media panels of our own.
  • For me, I run an optical cable from the outlet to an SFP plugged into a T3200M (I have Optik TV too).
  • For Wifi 6, I run a network cable from the T3200 to my TPLink AX6000's 2.5 gig WAN port.
  • My PC has an Intel Wifi6 AX200 capable of up to 2.4Gbps.

There is no way I am going to get anything above 940Mbps as long as I have that **bleep** T3200, right?  I believe I need to ask TELUS for a device that has at least one multi-gig LAN port so I can run from there to my AX6000. 

Which TELUS device do I need? Or, any other suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@YvrTown Wrote: There is no way I am going to get anything above 940Mbps as long as I have that **bleep** T3200, right? 

You are indeed correct... The T3200M is equipped with a 1Gbps WAN port and 4x 1gbps LAN ports. Now at very best you can theoretically receive 1.25Gbps throughput on the WAN port in a lab setting, however you are very correct that the best single connection on this type of hardware and connecting will be a max of 940Mbps.

Now, if your Telus connection is provisioned at 1.5gbps, you may if all the additional hardware is capable of the speed achieve the advertised throughput utilizing the current offerings from Telus of either the Arcadyan NH20A Router, or the less utilized Nokia XS-250X-A (Seems to reserved for business installations)

I would contact Telus and see if they would be willing to upgrade your supplied hardware... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

DrPacman
Rockstar

@YvrTown Wrote: There is no way I am going to get anything above 940Mbps as long as I have that **bleep** T3200, right? 

You are indeed correct... The T3200M is equipped with a 1Gbps WAN port and 4x 1gbps LAN ports. Now at very best you can theoretically receive 1.25Gbps throughput on the WAN port in a lab setting, however you are very correct that the best single connection on this type of hardware and connecting will be a max of 940Mbps.

Now, if your Telus connection is provisioned at 1.5gbps, you may if all the additional hardware is capable of the speed achieve the advertised throughput utilizing the current offerings from Telus of either the Arcadyan NH20A Router, or the less utilized Nokia XS-250X-A (Seems to reserved for business installations)

I would contact Telus and see if they would be willing to upgrade your supplied hardware... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

YvrTown
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you so much for validating.

Is there a way I can confirm that my connection has been provisioned to the 1.5 service? For example, somewhere in the router settings page?

@YvrTown Can confirm that my connection has been provisioned to the 1.5 service?

I believe the best you might see in the T3200M interfaces might be the 1Gbps as that is what that era of hardware was designed to recognize.

Now, your Telus account information under the MyTelus interface will indeed confirm just what package you curranty have assigned to your account. As well if you look under the billing section at the very bottom of the various summaries you'll see a link listed as "View your agreement(s)" That will show full terms and discounts associated with your account.

BTW, when you signed up for the increase in speed, I'm guessing the the Telus rep told you that with the hardware configuration you current have i.e.. the T3200M etc. that the way to achieve the 1.5Gbps download speed would be having multiple sessions downloading at the same time making a total aggregate download speed of the 1.5Gbps.

Personally, I'd stick with the 1Gbps product, It's cheaper, and far less hassle to deploy. i.e. no specialized addition hardware ( faster NIC cards, Switches etc.) or costs.

YvrTown
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks again.

The rep told me the equipment I have is capable of the 1.5Gbps, but did not clarify beyond that.

Based on our exchange here, I just spoke to another rep who suggested that both the SFP module and T3200 have to be switched out. So, I have an appointment with a tech in a few weeks.

I am actually only paying $4 more for the speed, and my laptop and phone are both capable of the 1.5Gbps speeds.

So - problem solved. 

@YvrTown Wrote: I just spoke to another rep who suggested that both the SFP module and T3200 have to be switched out. 

Congratulations... I suspect that they will replace your GPON transceiver with the newer XGSPON transceiver. That device is capable of handling speeds up to and including 10Gbps. As well I would guess that Telus will replace your T3200M with the newer Arcadyan NH20A Router.

There is a cavate here for you to be aware of, and that is the Arcadyan NH20A Router does not have Wi-Fi capabilities' built-in, so you'll need to have additional equipment installed for that function to be utilized. make sure to chat with the Telus installer to confirm that you'll be offered a solution for that function.

YvrTown
Friendly Neighbour

I think you are right about that equipment. I have my own TP-Link AX6000 wireless router which is quite powerful, but I also have Optik TV - both a wired PVR and a Wireless 4k TV box. So, I will likely need a TELUS-issued wifi router.

Unfortunately, I may end up with a lot of equipment. Maybe they have some smaller devices for unique situations.

I will come back to this thread to update you with their solution.

@YvrTown Wrote: but I also have Optik TV

Ok, you will have no problems utilizing the NH20A Router for your Optik TV as it has a MoCa port built-in. You'll just have to work with the Telus installer to figure out your Wi-Fi situation. Perhaps, bridging the NH20A Router, and using your TP-Link AX6000 for the routing and Wi-Fi function. If I recall the MoCa port still functions so that would allow your Optik Tv functions to continue to work as previous..

Please keep us posted as this helps the collective group find solutions to complex problems and issues... Cheers...

YvrTown
Friendly Neighbour

Update.

The technician came, and said he changed something in the utility room, but in the end, changed nothing in my apartment.

He said I need the T3200M to run the Wireless TV box, and he said that the T3200M would feed through the speed to my AX6000 router.

So, I'm despite my upgrade to 1.5Gbps, I am getting, at best, 750Mbps up and down whereas before the upgrade, I was getting up to 900Mbps down

The installer did say that he could come back to replace the T3200M with an NH20A and Boost 2.0 - but that even with that set up, he has only ever seen a speedtest result over 940Mbps on the most high-end gaming computers.

I might get him to come back and try that. 

@YvrTown Wrote: The installer did say that he could come back to replace the T3200M with an NH20A and Boost 2.0.

I think that I would arrange for your installer upgrade you to the NH20A. I assure you that you'll be much happier with it. On my 1.5Gbps connection I have a single connection speed at the router of over 1,700+ Mbps. Then that passes to my network via 10Gbps to NAS devices, and various media servers at 10Gbps and to most of the computers at 2.5Gbps. And best of all "Rock Solid"

as can be...

More fun to come as I believe that I'm on the path to the 2.5Gbps upgrade in a few days... That should be fun...Cheers

Screenshot 2023-01-10 122314.jpg

YvrTown
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you! I've sent him a message to ask if he can stop by to set me up with the NH20A and Boost. I assume I will also need to an SFP+ too.

Again, I will let you know!

DrPacman
Rockstar

@YvrTown Wrote:  I assume I will also need to an SFP+ too.

What he will do is install you GPON module that is currently in T3200M into your new NH20A. he'll release the original provisioning from Telus. Boot your new NH20A up, this may take 5 minutes or so, could be due to some of the devices need an auto firmware update.

Then have him log into the new NH20A firmware, and bridge the 10Gbps port. Now the first time we looked for that toggle it didn't show up. So we bridged all the ports, rebooted the device. Now at the point we did get internet, however, it was a double NAT IP address to my Ubiquiti Router.

So, back into the NH20A interface, back to where you set the bridge mode and low and behold, this time there was a toggle for the 10Gbps port to be bridged. that what we did, then rebooted the device again. It all worked perfectly from there.

You'll just need a RJ45 cable to connect your TPLink AX6000 WAN port to the purple 10Gbps port on the NH20A and you should be golden. Now it did take a few hours for my connection to stabilize an increase to that speed, however it will. The first couple of hours I saw 1,200Mbps down on average so I knew that the 1.5Gbps was working, however, as my installer said give it a little time and that really paid off.

hope this helps... Cheers...

DavidRTurner
Neighbour

I hope it's not rude of me to hop on here, but it appears that the original question(s) have been answered, and my issue is similar...

Feel free to move/delete this thread if it belongs elsewhere or in a new thread.

I also just got the Fibre 1.5 package (upgrading from conventional Shaw internet) plus basic Optik TV; my modem is an NH20A, I believe.  I'm in an apartment condo, so the ONT is (presumably) down in the phone room that I can't access myself.  The booster/router is a B20T.  Port 1 goes to the PC, port 2 goes to an AX6000 router, which splits to 1) a Synology NAS, 2) a BluRay player, 3) an older streaming box, that I'd like to keep active if possible).

The modem/booster's admin page does SHOW ME it sees all the attached devices - it gives me their IP addresses, at least.  But I can't seem to find any way to bridge the booster to the AX6000 router (I've read this in similar threads as needed, to 'use' the old router). At least, there's no 'bridge' setting that I can find.
I only have need for one WiFi network, for my own use (no Guest network needed).

I, too, am only seeing ~900 speeds so far (it's only been 24 hrs). Nobody told me it would be maxxed out PER THREAD at that speed.  But even if the 900 is stable, I'm happy with the improvement over my old service.

I'm not really wired (no pun intended) for configuring this sort of tech, or even understanding some of it.

So my basic question is:
How can I set this up so that the booster cable goes to to the PC and the old router, so that the old router can then cable to the NAS, BluRay and maybe 1-2 other devices in the future?

@DavidRTurner Wrote: I hope it's not rude of me to hop on here.

Absolutely no problem at all... let see if I'm able to help here...

A little clarification if your would please... When you mention no bridge setting, are you referring to the AX6000, or the Telus supplied NH20A modem/router?

The Telus NH20A is the device that needs to be placed into bridged mode as that will pass all the unobstructed data from Telus to your aftermarket AX6000 for all the routing and firewall needs.

You'll have to dig round in the interface a bit, I remember it taking a few to find the bridge settings. In fact, I recall the first time I did that seeing a setting for only bridging port 1 of the NH20A, and a setting for bridging all the ports. I had to bridge all the ports, and then reboot the NH20A (Took about 4 minutes BTW) and then I went back into the setting and found that there was an additional setting to bridge the 10Gbps port which is the setting that I needed to utilize.

Now a note of caution, you'll only see the full benefit of the 1.5Gbps single connection if all the pieces in that link (i.e. Telus feed, Telus device, your Modem/router, and the computer at the end of the line) all have the capability of a greater than 1.5Gbps connection.

I saw a marked increase in speed right away, however, after about 5 hours it settled down to a constant speed no lower than1.6Gbps, and peeks well above 1.7Gbps for me...

Hope this may help... Cheers...

I mean bridging the new modem (NH20A), so that the new booster (B20T) can connect to my old router (AX6000).  At least, this is my understanding of what needs to be done.
Because I can't seem to get my old router to connect to the new booster, I can't even get to the old router's login info.

This morning I was able to find the Bridge mode option for the new modem; I enabled it; got a warning message that it would kill the Optik TV; I don't want the TV, so I tried it.  Didn't seem to change anything.    Tried any number of cable port changes/reboots.  Since then, I haven't been able to login to the modem or booster IP addresses, and so cannot UNbridge the modem.
Don't know what to do now.  Have pretty much exhausted Google results, as most of them point to either the same few Telus or reddit threads.

I guess something in the system is limited to 1Gb, as I cannot get more than 950 on Speedtest.net.  They never mentioned that was a possibility.  And they've screwed up almost everything on my account choices & pricing.  I'm sure I've got a long call with them coming...  but need to actually figure out if I can USE the new services before I argue the pricing of them...

Don't know how to narrow down the bandwidth culprit, though, until I get my old router connected properly & can test it.  I guess I can disconnect the new connections & use the old Shaw ones (my plan is good another couple of weeks) to test.

@DavidRTurner Wrote: Since then, I haven't been able to login to the modem or booster IP addresses, and so cannot UNbridge the modem.

Ok, I suspect that the NH20A is indeed bridged now. However, I also suspect that its bridged on port 1 of the NH20A. You can plug the AX6000 into port 1 and see if you get internet.

Now if you indeed get internet, you should be able to log into the AX6000 interface and see if the WAN IP address is a Telus IP address and not a private IP such as 192.168.1.X.

If your good to this point, now you do want to make sure that the AX6000 is issuing address in the 192.168.1.X range to all your devices inside your private network.

Now, again go to the address of 192.168.1.254 with your favorite browser and see if you can see the NH20A login UI page. If you can, then back to the section for bridging modes. See if this time you have the option for bridging the purple 10Gbps port. If that option is indeed present, configure that option. Reboot the NH20A again. Note that this time you'll have to move the Ethernet cable from port 1 to the purple 10Gbps port that goes to the WAN port on your AX6000 (2.5Gbps).

You should have the full bandwidth of your Telus internet feed at this point.

A tip/note for you is at any time you run into problems, just hold the factory reset button on the lower right side of the NH20A to bat to the start of the process again.

let me know how it all goes... Cheers

UPDATE: after another long day of trial & error, I've come to the conclusion that even though it's supposed to be possible, I'm not likely getting the AX6000 router connected to the new setup, anytime soon (or without a lot more hassle/configuring).  I never could reach the AX6000's login page.

So - after some factory resets & restarts, I've been able to get my setup working adequately:
- Booster 2.5G port to PC

- Booster Port1 to NAS

- Booster Port2 no longer needed (my BluRay is now set as wireless, as is my TV.
- the old media streamer is also gone, as the nVidia Shield has been reliable (*my TV uses Roku as its native system, and it would not recognize a lot of older media files, so I was using the 10+-year-old media streamer for them).  But Plex installed on the NAS, runs all my media perfectly fine, as does Kodi if needed.

I can use Port2 to connect any other devices I might need in future (if not wireless-capable), so having one spare port now, gives me some breathing room.

So I was simply able to "cut the cords" as the Telus signal seems much more reliable/stronger than the old Shaw signal, and no longer need so many ports.

Thanks, DrPacman - useful information helped cut down the trial & error... 🙂