cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5G Fiber never reached

Vincent86
Friendly Neighbour

We have the 1500/940 plan, but my speeds never exceed ~900mbps.

A Telus technician installed the Nokia G-240G-A and it goes into our UniFi Dream Machine Special Edition WAN2 port, which support 1000 and 2500 speeds.

I can see in the UI that the port negotiated down to 1G, when I set it to 2.5G the connection doesn't work.

How can I actually get the full 1500 downlink into my network?

What speeds does the ONT's Port 1 actually support?

Do I need a SFP 10G adapter and go into WAN1 on the UDM?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Vincent86 Wrote: A Telus technician installed the Nokia G-240G-A .

I suspect the problem is all the Wan/Lan ports of that device are locked at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. I would contact Telus and have your router/modem swapped out for either the Nokia XS-250X-A or the Arcadyan NH20A. Both have a 10Gbps Lan port, both can be put into bridged mode. Then connect the Lan port to your Wan port on the UDMpro SE, however, you'll have to lock the UDMPro SE this time at 10Gbps. That should allow your maximum 1.5Gbps throughput. Cheers

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Vincent86
Friendly Neighbour

Is there any 3rd-party 10G SFP module I can use and activate with the help of a technician?

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Vincent86 Wrote: A Telus technician installed the Nokia G-240G-A .

I suspect the problem is all the Wan/Lan ports of that device are locked at a maximum speed of 1Gbps. I would contact Telus and have your router/modem swapped out for either the Nokia XS-250X-A or the Arcadyan NH20A. Both have a 10Gbps Lan port, both can be put into bridged mode. Then connect the Lan port to your Wan port on the UDMpro SE, however, you'll have to lock the UDMPro SE this time at 10Gbps. That should allow your maximum 1.5Gbps throughput. Cheers

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Vincent86
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks! Does either the XS-250X-A or NH20A have a removable SFP module?

@Vincent86 Wrote: Does either the XS-250X-A or NH20A have a removable SFP module?

They do, however, the module utilized in these devices utilizes the XGSPON standards, the current module you have is a GPON. You'll have to leave either of the devices inline, place it in bridge mode, and then run RJ45 to your UDMPro SE from it.

That's why Telus will have to do the upgrade for you. New router/modem and the upgraded GPON. However, you'll be all set to up grade to the 2.5Gbps service if in the future you want to do that.

None of these bleeding edge solutions are ever easy to accomplish...

Vincent86
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks again. Why would the XGSPON not work with the 10G SFP port on my UDM SE?

@Vincent86  Wrote: Why would the XGSPON not work with the 10G SFP port on my UDM SE?

No it will not. Physical size difference.

https://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2484627.thumb600~48a689069e1099f450c6f833efd54b63/4679134A-58... 

Why cannot bypass the Telus equipment altogether and connect the Telus fibre directly to the UDMP SE SFP+ port? 

Vincent86
Friendly Neighbour
In case anyone cares.

I ended up replacing the Nokia G-240G-A with a Telus NA20A (plus Nokia G-010S-A SFP module), then connected the 10G port on the NA20A to my UDM-SE using a 10G RJ45 SFP module.