cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Digital TV Boxes and IGMP Proxy

dolatyler
Just Moved In

Hello, this is a question for fellow home nerds and any telus reps looking at the forum.  I have a Unifi Dream Machine pro router in my house and take pride in managing my own network. I'm able to completely remove the Telus router from my network and instead I am using the Unifi alone with an IGMP Proxy enabled on a separate VLAN. I have my current Arris Optik boxes and the PVR on my managed switches and don't need another network in my house.

With that being said, I have just filled out the form for the new Digital TV boxes that will replace these in a few days. Does anyone know how these work compared to the old ones? I'm thinking they're now just "smart" devices that connect  to the internet and don't need some IGMP proxy and firewall rules to allow them to talk to the PVR in my basement? There is no more home PVR, so it should be less of an effort.

Bottom line, I hope I don't need to blow the dust off my Actiontec T3200M for these new boxes.  If anyone knows in advance, that'd be great to hear. I will definitely update this forum post once I get the boxes!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dolatyler
Just Moved In

Received my new boxes yesterday and proceeded to hook them up in place of the older ones. I initially used the same VLAN ports and had no issues with viewing television.

I have now just moved 2 of them to my normal home VLAN with IGMP Snooping turned on and my IGMP Proxy disabled. I am happy to report zero issues.

These are just nice android TV boxes with a Telus TV+ App!  Thank you Telus for modernizing! 

Now the only thing I miss is being able to record what I just watched. 😄 If my tv was on a news program and I caught a story I want my wife to see, I could push record and it would start from when I tuned to that channel. Now it only starts the moment I push record... Minor thing, but so far my only complaint!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please keep us updated when you get them!

dolatyler
Just Moved In

Received my new boxes yesterday and proceeded to hook them up in place of the older ones. I initially used the same VLAN ports and had no issues with viewing television.

I have now just moved 2 of them to my normal home VLAN with IGMP Snooping turned on and my IGMP Proxy disabled. I am happy to report zero issues.

These are just nice android TV boxes with a Telus TV+ App!  Thank you Telus for modernizing! 

Now the only thing I miss is being able to record what I just watched. 😄 If my tv was on a news program and I caught a story I want my wife to see, I could push record and it would start from when I tuned to that channel. Now it only starts the moment I push record... Minor thing, but so far my only complaint!

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to hear! As for the recording issue, @Optik-Kate would you have any insight?

Hi @dolatyler, in this case, the recording function is working as expected; it will only record the point where you instruct it to do so if a schedule has not been set previously! That said, a lot of our channels have the restart functionality where you can restart the live stream from the beginning. Please keep in mind that you won't be able to fast-forward when you restart the stream, but you can jump back to the live point by refreshing the feed. 

LancerEvoDK
Just Moved In
Hello @dolatyler

How did you set up your UDM Pro for Optik TV. I have a UDM SE set up in my network and currently have a switch just after the ONT with the UDM hooked to one port of the switch and the T3200M hooked to another port on the switch and am running just my three Optik tv boxes off the T3200M while the rest of my network is run off the UDM SE. I hate the mess of the extra switch and the T3200M and would like to be able to pack them away and just run everything off of the UDM. I have tried in the past setting it up but I must be missing something as it just gets the 10 seconds of tv before dropping off

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@LancerEvoDK - You have the older type of Optik TV boxes that will only work when directly connected to the T3200M.  That is different than the newer Android TV based hardware referenced in this post. The old Optik set top boxes use multicast packets and most third party routers don't support that, either at all or not properly. That's why the boxes drop off after about 10 seconds when connected to the UDM. You may not have it configured correctly to work with multicast. The newer Android TV based Optik or TelusTV+ boxes do not use multicast packets so they will work with most routers out there right out of the box.

@dolatyler may be able to provide you with more details on how they configured their UDM to work with the older hardware.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂