cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Chrome account managed by telus.net?

Jimmcl
Just Moved In

When I use my telus email to sign in to chrome, it will not let me sync my bookmarks and other info because it says my browser is managed by telus.net. This is very frustrating.

10 REPLIES 10

rc
Rockstar

To answer the "why" question, I think you  signed chrome into your telus.net account during email migration.

You can sign Chrome out of of telus.net and  into your google account to sync to google.

santanarose
Just Moved In

Has this been rectified Telus? Why do I have to have 2 profiles? I want my passwords, bookmarks, etc. saved under my telus.net but continue to get the message that I cannot sync, upload, etc. due to administrator restrictions. Why is it not possible to use these functions? Very frustrating. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Google Suite portfolio purchased by Telus is limited to the services they offered as an ISP. It is not the full Google suite of applications. I don’t expect this to change. I suggest you use your Gmail account as primary, and set your Telus.net emails to be forwarded to it, or use your email application to connect to multiple email addresses.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Is this still the case? I am unable to do things in my telus gmail account that i can in a regular gmail account. It is very frustrating. Is my only option to open a new gmail account and forward emails to it?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, it is unchanged. You need a Google account to access services beyond email.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Serendipity
Friendly Neighbour

I have similar issue. If I set up my telus.net email as IMAP I cannot use Google Maps. It says the administrator of my email address needs to rectify it. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you set up Telus as IMAP, that would mean you are using a mail program like Outlook or Apple Mail to access your email. That is completely separate from your browser and won't affect how your browser accesses other Google services. If you are logging in to your Telus email through a browser, then you'll see that message.

If you have a regular Gmail/Google account, make sure you are logged into that one first before logging in to the Telus.net email account. If you only have a Telus.net email, completely log out of it and you can get into other Google  services such as Maps.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

If you set up Telus as IMAP, that would mean you are using a mail program like Outlook or Apple Mail to access your email.

o Correct, I forgot to mention. I used imap in Outlook 2021. 

That is completely separate from your browser and won't affect how your browser accesses other Google services.

o That is 1000% ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. When  I lost access,  the Google  message was that I had to contact the administrator to get access. Was advised that administrator was whoever gave me our Telus.net email addresses. I called Telus support and was hopeless to get an  answer. Also there are posts here, and other websites, by Telus employees and others advising how to fix and of the same issue I am describing. And any fixes do not work. It all worked fine in the past but not on a 2021 MacBook Air or a MacMini 2023. I have read numerous other articles stating that the reason for this abnormality is because Telus did not buy the full Gmail Suite. And I am not techie enough to be able to confirm that, but I do see many other posts on same issue. Google maps returned when I set the email up as POP on Outlook. But made a mess in the Outlook. Now for an unnecessary Mickey Mouse work around …..sorry to say. If I had known or was advised of these issues I would have never migrated to the Telus Gmail. Without admitting this anomaly Telus support says they don’t support google maps and actually suggested that I use my other Gmail address.  

In my opinion the solution is…..fix  it or ask Telus to advise all users of an acceptable work around or clearly  state  that the anomaly won’t be fixed. Then customers can move on accordingly. I’m at the point that I don’t care if I have at Telus.net email. My family just needs a stable email address that doesn’t impact on other workings of the computer. I just want to know what way to go and move on. 

If you are logging in to your Telus email through a browser, then you'll see that message.

o If you say so. 

If you have a regular Gmail/Google account, make sure you are logged into that one first before logging in to the Telus.net email account. If you only have a Telus.net email, completely log out of it and you can get into other Google  services such as Maps.

o Why bother,,,,that’s a hassle. And how many non techies and elderly are going to be able to handle that? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This has come up many times in the forum in the past so it's not a new discussion.

You are incorrect. IMAP, and even POP3, is not a connection that browsers use. The message you got in your browser had NOTHING to do with IMAP nor any email program that you have installed on your computer.

The message to contact your administrator is what happens when you happened to be logged in to your telus.net account in the browser specifically. It has no connection to Outlook or any other email program. You'll get that message on computers where you log in to your account (and don't log out) and don't have any local email app in use. This is how it has been since day 1. Technical support has absolutely no way to address this situation because they are not the administrators. Telus.net accounts are an ISP grade Google GSuite/Workspace accounts. ISPs that use Gsuite are using plans that go far beyond those of regular commercial ones due to the number of users and accounts. It's not the same as a regular Gmail or Gsuite account. There are also different features included / excluded. In this case only email is included. Google charges for every additional feature, like Maps or YouTube, to be added to the ISP Gsuite/Workspace account and additional services can't be added for just one account. It affects all of them and on a scale of millions of accounts, Google would charge a fortune.

Normally if a user has an existing Gmail account, all they need to do is ensure they've logged into that account first before logging in to Telus.net. Google will still count that Gmail account as the primary logged in account at that point and will allow access as normal to the other Google services. 

If you don't have a Gmail account, just log out of the Telus.net account in the browser specifically. It's quite simple.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

lhp23
Just Moved In

Thank you for the replies. I am using the telus linked account for my job and there are certain things I can just not get to work that should be so simple. For example in my personal gmail account I can add a signature with a photo with no problem. I have tried everything I can think of but in the telus linked gmail account that I am using for my job it will not allow me to add a photo to an email signature. It asks for a URL to add a photo, which doesn't work without google docs or drive access, or it says signature is too long when I copy and paste. Seems trivial but the account is mostly used for business so my employers would like a professional signature. Any experience with this issue?