cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overdue account from over 10 years ago

Kirthais
Neighbour
Hey does Telus keep track of older accounts? Got a letter from a collection agency with my address I’m living at but doesn’t provide the whole account number. I can’t remember is this is actually mine or not. When I called the agency, they’re now saying I owe more when I just got a letter today saying I owe a lower amount. Please help.
3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I would not call the number on the letter. I'd say you'd be better off calling Telus billing directly and asking there. While the letter might be legitimate, there are also very similar scams going around also. Having an incomplete account number would be odd. Telus would not wait 10 years before sending someone to collections. It also looks like 6 years (depending on province) is the longest statute of limitations on debt collection for taking people to court to recover the debt.

Have you pulled a credit report in the last few years? If you had a past due balance, it should have shown up there, and after this many years it would have had a fairly noticeable impact.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Well I was a little curious about it too, especially considering the letting says original client is Telus wireless, which should just be Telus or Telus communications right? That and the letter said I had 2 days to pay it. Which I thought was weird.

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

If you would like to verify, simply give us a call, and we can confirm that there are no outstanding accounts in your name.

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.