cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to disable Text-to-Landline

Viridel
Friendly Neighbour

These are incredibly annoying, and I'm tired of people just assuming it's a cell.  And the irony is that Telus is trying so hard to keep landline services active, yet this service creates absolutely NO incentive to keep the line (basically it's telling me I'm silly for not using my cell for everything).

I don't want this service, and want it disabled on my home line - ideally with a customizable rejection message saying "This is not a cellular number. Please call if you wish to talk to me."

So, what is Telus going to do regarding this?

7 REPLIES 7

tmsupport
Just Moved In

TeleMessage serves as Telus' technology partner for Text-to-Landline service.  Please e-mail us at [email protected] with your request and include your Telus mobile number so we can stop the Text-to-Landline service for you

Viridel
Friendly Neighbour

"and want it disabled on my home line" - There should not be any confusion about this.

My issue is receiving T2L messages - this is the service I want stopped.  I have messaged TeleMessage using their contact form.

Viridel
Friendly Neighbour

So this service was able to be deactivated on this line, but it generates the following error on the cell:

Sorry your message to 403-548-(####) could not be delivered.  The phone number is inactive.  Please check number and try again.

Read that second sentence again - HUGE problem!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Seems perfectly accurate to me! As far as texting is concerned, the number is inactive. You did not want to be inconvenienced by incoming texts, so now you won't be. That the system standard error message is not personalized is no surprise.

Most folks are happy to have the opportunity to correct folks who send texts to the wrong number. We simply take a minute to send a text with the correct info, or make a voice call to the incoming number and provide the caller with appropriate information.

Link

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Viridel
Friendly Neighbour

So if you get a call while you're talking on the phone, the other person gets a message that your number is disconnected, right?  No?  Oh, you must have Call Waiting - which is a FEATURE.  This "feature" was put on my line just because it was available.  If I don't want this feature, the only other option is "the line is inactive"?  Really?  No middle ground here?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your previous post indicates the message is returned to the cellular phone when an SMS is sent. It does not indicate what happens when a voice call is made to the landline. Have you called your landline from your cell to confirm what happens when a voice call is placed?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Viridel
Friendly Neighbour

Voice is just fine...

But if I'm selling something on Kijiji / Facebook, and give my phone number, or a parent from the team that I coach; what do you think will happen if they Text, instead of Calling?  The number is not inactive, nor should there be ANY indication that it is!

The message should be "This phone number does not subscribe to the Text-to-Landline service.  Your message was not received."

THAT is the accurate rejection message.  Don't pretend the number is disconnected just because I don't want some involuntary feature!