cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

krossengerj
Organizer

My phone thinks it's in the UK. 

So early this morning my phone service stopped working as well as my WIFI, I couldn't do anything.

This morning when I woke up, same thing was happening. I factory data reset my phone. My setting up the phone, my phone only offered in ENGLISH language UK. 

I have a REDMI NOTE PRO 12. 

My phone has been roaming ever since but i have roaming turned off in the Settings/ Network/ TELUS

I then was reading on the Community page to turn off TELUS automatic  network and do a manual scan; choose Telus in the list. Now my phone is in 3G service,  there was not 5G service available. I have a 5G phone.

Now my phone won't work very well on the 3G network.

I went to my TELUS account to check if i am being billed roaming charges, looks like i am being billed $16 a day for international roaming.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE WHEN MY ROAMING IS TURNED OFF!!

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're using an unsupported Chinese phone that wasn't intended for the North American market, and it sounds like it is malfunctioning. If you completely reset your phone then you probably lost the APN settings as well.

I can't think of any way that it should show up as roaming if your in Canada and on Telus's network. I know there is sometimes a charge for 3G now but I don't believe that shows up as roaming on the bill.

• Is it just the language settings that thinks it's UK or if you go on Maps does it show you as being in the UK?
  • Are you running a VPN on the phone?
  • As for 5G, do you have the regular Redmi Note 12 Pro or the Redmi Note 12 Pro 5G? The first is 4G only.
  • How many SIM cards do you have in the phone currently? Is the Telus SIM in the primary slot?
  • What region/country do you have your phone set to currently for updates from Xiaomi?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I have the Redmi Note 12 Pro 5G version.

Also I did download a Super VPN and also thought that could have messed things up.

I factory data reset my phone and changed the settings to Canada.

I don't believe it's roaming any longer.

My only concern now is the text messaging service.

I don't like the text app it comes with pee-installed it said something about international texts messages will incur charges for international texts.

I turned off everything related to that app, not sure what I was using before but I lost all my previous messages.

I don't know which text service to use 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Beware of the free VPN apps. So many of them are problematic. SuperVPN apparently is malware.

As for which text app to use, that is a hard question. The default one is a Xiaomi app. There are a lot of third party apps out there so you really have to watch that you don't get one that's malware. Google Messages might work if you have Google Play on the phone.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂