cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus 9 5G -Why can't I access 5G

Arkangell
Neighbour

I have a OnePlus 9 5G phone from T-Mobile & I am using it on TELUS - I can not access 5G why? The 5g dose not even show up in the phone. I was told to get a new sim which cost me 16.95 at the TELUS store as it would not let me order one online for 10 dollars. The new sim I was told would let me access the 5G network. Well that was a lie.

I still have no 5G access in area where 5G is available. I would get a 5G phone though TELUS if they would carry the OnePlus brand. No other phone interests me. I want to have 5G access - How do I get it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Arkangell
Neighbour

I found the answer in the app store select Samsung band selection

download

select more network settings

select preferred network settings

select NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GMS/WCDMA

this will show 5g now and you will connect to 5g where available.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

T-Mobile's 5G bands are different than what are currently used in Canada. In theory the OnePlus 9 does support band n66 for 5G but the version offered by T-Mobile seems to only have a limited support for 5G frequencies compared to the device sold from OnePlus.com. Depending on where you live, there may be other 5G frequencies in use besides n66 and if the T-Mobile edition of the phone doesn't support the frequency in use where you live, then you won't get 5G.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Arkangell
Neighbour

Oh I am wrong my OnePlus 8 pro was though T-Mobile, my one Plus 9 came direct from One Plus. So really I should have no issues.

Arkangell
Neighbour

I found the answer in the app store select Samsung band selection

download

select more network settings

select preferred network settings

select NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/GMS/WCDMA

this will show 5g now and you will connect to 5g where available.

I tried your suggestion, but it did not make a difference. I still don't get 5G in Vancouver. I got my Oneplus 9 through Best Buy from a market seller in the US.