cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contract renewal - can I BYOD?

sammysjeep
Helpful Neighbour

Even though it doesn't seem to matter much to Telus in terms of offers/discounts, I'm a long time Telus Mobility client, where in the past when my cell contract is up for renewal, I just pick the new device either in store or online but I am considering to buy my new phone (unlocked) outright from a store (still shopping around to see who has what).  

So my question is, is it easy enough to get that phone onto my account, keeping the same phone number.  I assume that if my current SIM card will swap out - it is as easy as that...but if I need a new SIM card, would I have to go into a Telus store to get one?  I saw in my online profile in choosing an upgrade, there is an option to select BYOD, which I assume would be this case.  I didn't click too far into it to see what all is needed.  

I am pretty sure this is a "silly" question, but I have confused myself many times over as I look into it so thought I'd come to the forum where someone should know.

THANKS!!! Hope everyone has a great Grey Cup weekend 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

polecat
All-Star

@sammysjeep  There are a number of complaints on the forum about --- preorders ---- byod ---- orders and shipping time -- sim cards. Hard to resolve for a few why ???? . Myself i would go to store and let them do it all ---install sim ----put  -- your number into the new phone----- no  problems.. Good luck.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, it is as simple as swapping your SIM to the new phone. Nearly all phones in the past few years accept a Nano-SIM, so you should be good. However, if you need a smaller SIM, you can get one at a store, and either have them provision it, or you can do it online by entering the new SIM number in your account.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"