cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Booster Coverage?

Markakett
Friendly Neighbour

I'm wondering if someone can explain how the Wifi Boosters work in conjunction with the T3200. I have added 4 boosters and 2 of them say i should move them closer to the router. That seems counterproductive. The first booster is connected to the T3200, the second is about 12 feet away and goes through 4 walls. The signal shows good (blue) signal strength is -59. The third booster is approx 10ft away from the second one and almost line of sight through doorways. Its shows OK (yellow) at -77. The fourth booster is approx 14 ft from the second booster and 20ft from the third booster. It also shows OK with a signal strength of -73. I'm wondering why the Connect app recommends moving them closer to the modem? I thought these were a mesh setup and worked together. Should I be changing settings on the T3200? 

Thanks for any input.

IMG_7868.PNGIMG_7869.PNGIMG_7870.PNG

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A mesh system slows as the number of hops increases, and the distance between them increases. As the signal slows, the mesh system suggests moving the devices closer together.

Have you the opportunity to run ethernet to any of the Boosters? It will allow them to run faster.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Markakett
Friendly Neighbour

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this. Why would it ask to move the boosters closer to the router and not each other. That seems like it would negate the concept of adding boosters for more range. 

@Markakett Wrote: Why would it ask to move the boosters closer to the router and not each other.

The signal for each Booster initiates from your router, so each of the boosters are looking for a stronger signal. The -77db signal is very low. hopefully you may get that signal strength orotund -55db or lower (Lower the better in this case).

I can't off the top of my head remember if you can boost the WiFi signal strength settings on the T3200M, however, if you are able to do that I would try that setting as well... Cheers....

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.