cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Fibre Phone/Internet: Installation & Wiring questions

DJVS
Just Moved In

HI.

So our Strata Complex is switching over to Telus PureFibre, but we didn't get any explanation on how it "should" be done.

I have reviewed what Telus says on there FibreUpgrade page, and tried to understand The-Story-of-My-Fibre-Install forum post, but I have some questions.

My Line Diagram for Fibre installation: 

TELUS CO --- "Last 100 metre" Cable Phone Pole --- House (External) --- Drill Through Wall --- Fibre Goes where??

1. Telus runs Optical cable from the CO to the "last mile", and then to your home.  But where on (or in) your home does the Telus Fibre Optical cable terminate and what is that called (Demarcation box? )?
  2. Does the Telus Fibre connect to an active "Fibre-to-Copper" conversion box?  What is the general term for this box, and what is the 2021 current brand / model that they use (so I can look up its datasheet 😄 )? 
    I assume this conversion box connects up to the existing (twisted pair) copper wiring you have in your house (so no need to run Cat 5e or 6, copper Ethernet cables, or different then RJ11 copper phone cables), so that you can use all your current phone and router electronics.  Is this a wrong assumption, and if so what does the conversion box output?
  3. In a multi-level house / townhome, will Telus run the Fibre cable to the mid-level of the house even if the current copper house wiring terminates on the ground floor / basement?  Now that I write this maybe that isn't the best idea, but the thought of having an active "fibre to copper" conversion electronic device in my unfinished parking garage, on the ground floor, rarely monitored, seems like a bad idea (heat/fire safety for example, or just dust, car soot, and bugs damaging it).
  4. What would be the recommended way to "hook up" Telus PureFibre to a 3 level Townhome, where the 1st level is just a ground floor garage?  Personally I would like to see all active electronics on the 2nd level, somewhere above the garage.

Thanks, and feel free to add any information you think I didn't ask but would be good to know -  links are fine.

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Don’t confuse the installation info drafted for single family dwellings with what will happen in a multi-family dwelling. Here are my best guess answers to your questions:

• Telus runs Optical cable from the CO to the "last mile", and then to your home.  But where on (or in) your home does the Telus Fibre Optical cable terminate and what is that called (Demarcation box? )?

Usually this occurs at a telecommunications cabinet, or near your electrical panel, where existing ethernet or phone wiring exists. In some instances it is run to the location of your router.

• Does the Telus Fibre connect to an active "Fibre-to-Copper" conversion box?  What is the general term for this box, and what is the 2021 current brand / model that they use (so I can look up its datasheet 😄 )? 

Telus uses a number of options, including a Nokia branded Optical Network Translator (ONT), or directly to the router.
    I assume this conversion box connects up to the existing (twisted pair) copper wiring you have in your house (so no need to run Cat 5e or 6, copper Ethernet cables, or different then RJ11 copper phone cables), so that you can use all your current phone and router electronics.  Is this a wrong assumption, and if so what does the conversion box output? 
    The ONT has ethernet outputs for data, and 4 wire for telephone. You will need ethernet cable between the ONT if installed, and the router. You will also need ethernet for your own networking. The phone output will be connected to your current phone wiring; it will not transmit data.
  • In a multi-level house / townhome, will Telus run the Fibre cable to the mid-level of the house even if the current copper house wiring terminates on the ground floor / basement?  Now that I write this maybe that isn't the best idea, but the thought of having an active "fibre to copper" conversion electronic device in my unfinished parking garage, on the ground floor, rarely monitored, seems like a bad idea (heat/fire safety for example, or just dust, car soot, and bugs damaging it).

I don’t think you need worry much about dust, bugs, soot. The installer will discuss / determine the best option for your install upon arrival.

• What would be the recommended way to "hook up" Telus PureFibre to a 3 level Townhome, where the 1st level is just a ground floor garage?  Personally I would like to see all active electronics on the 2nd level, somewhere above the garage.

See previous comment.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

polecat
All-Star

@DJVS  With strata units or apartments there is usually a utility room with all power meters in it and a big telephone entrance wire panel where tel wires are seperated and sent to each unit. Thats where the fiber will enter and how they get fiber to the units is their problem existing conduits to each units ? Inside telephone wire 4 wires cannot hook to the ont. Requires cate cable  from ont where ever it is located  to the modem / router. Older apartment blocks and stratas are a big headache but $ of wiring by owner of structure can fix it. If wired for a cable company tv service it may not happen.

Just one caveat and to some extremely important.  Good luck using fax over the new fibre network.

No luck using my new multi function printer, went over the setup information many times and no luck. 

Ok the old faithful simple multi function unit worked for years, powered it up, no joy, seems that fax machines 

will only work on the old copper networks. Will investigate further but hold little hope.