cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device not choosing closest Telus boost point

Wewayi
Neighbour
Hi, I have 3 Telus boosts (all hard wired), each in 3 levels of my house. I am noticing with my cell phone (Galaxy Note 10+) it does not switch to the nearest Boost point in my kids bedroom on the top floor, even when I'm right beside it or when the signal has degraded to the point the WiFi has slowed to a crawl. Under the Telus wifi app, it shows the upstairs Boost to be very strong. But no devices are connected to it.

Now I understand this is under the device's (Note 10+) control - is that correct? How do I get more devices to connect to the upstairs Boost to work like a true mesh network?
5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is the Wi-Fi SSID and password the same for all Wi-Fi in your house, or is there more than one Wi-Fi connection your devices can connect to?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I have switched off Wifi to all my routers and access points and only have the Wifi SSID from the Telus Boost mesh network.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What happens if you turn Wi-Fi of then on again on the Galaxy Note? Does it then connect to the closest Wi-Fi point?
How do other devices behave? Can / do any connect to the third floor Boost Device?

NFtoBC

When I was beside my Upstairs Telus Boost (TB) and I turn off the Galaxy Note wifi and back on, it still had a weak signal, and no devices were connected to the Upstairs TB at all.  

After reading some other posts on this forum, I unplugged all my TBs and did a full factory reset on the TBs.  Then I re-initialized them at the same time with my T3200m router, and it seems to have made all the difference.  I am getting a strong signal throughout the house and the Upstairs TB finally has some devices connected to it. 

As an aside, my Galaxy Note 10+ on the My Wifi Telus app was indicating its connection as "ethernet" and not connected to any TB, even though it was clearly connected to the TB mesh wifi network SSID.   Can't answer that one.  Definitely weird...

Thanks for your help NFtoBC!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, devices connected to Boost devices are reported as Ethernet connected, as they are not connecting through the Router Wi-Fi, but through a LAN port.

NFtoBC