cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat6 pre install wiring

Dougie65
Friendly Neighbour

I asked this earlier on the wrong forum I think. My Telus installer is coming in a week and I want to run Cat6 to the attic two stories up for a network closet. There, I’ll have the router/modem. Not sure how many Cat6 I should run. Not sure if PVR can stay near OTC, so I need two lines up I guess at least.

8 REPLIES 8

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Dougie65 Wrote: I want to run Cat6 to the attic two stories up for a network closet. There, I’ll have the router/modem. N

Good day,

As I interpret your wiring requirements. I gather that you'll have the Telus supplied Modem/Router in a lower level of your house. From that lower location you'll be suppling your Optik Tv via the MoCa outlet on the Telus device and the preexisting cable network throughout the house. Ok, so that aspect is now covered.

The run of Cat6 will be utilized to supply an aftermarket router that will reside in the attic, is this correct? If that is a correct assumption, the Telus device will ne to be put into bridged mode to feed that aftermarket device. So only 1 run of Cat6 would be required to enable that task.

Now the next question I would ask, is do you plan on linking a switch up in your attic to feed additional locations within your house via hardwire. If that is indeed a requirement then, obviously each of those runs would need to be feed from the attic to the various locations.

If your going the utilize only wireless access throughout the house, a high power router with wireless capability would be spec'd to handle those requirements.

If I missed the jist of your thought here, I apologize, and hope you can specify a little... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Dougie65
Friendly Neighbour
No instal yet. Just pre wiring the Cat6. I was trying to not use MoCa devices. The attic location is generalized as there’s a closet just below the attic when I can set up a “network” shelf. I’ll run the tv’s off wifi for now and once I get closet finished after the Telus install I’ll wire each room with Cat6. I guess the installer will figure the initial install and I can go from there. It’s all a bit confusing. And some installer will talk and help you with your goals, others will be minimal I’d imagine. Perhaps the moca adapters will suffice. Seems like a lot of moca devices.
Sent from my iPad

@Dougie65 Wrote: And some installer will talk and help you with your goals.

As I understand it, Telus will allot a 2 1/2 hour window for the installer to accomplish the tasks. At least that's what I was told when they did ours. We decided just where was best for all my hardware equipment and cabling to route, and they did a fantastic job of getting the fibre termination to just where I needed it..

The rest was easy after that... Have a chat with the installer, outline what you want to accomplish, I've nothing but a great relationship with the installers that I had to deal with...most of them are geeks, and enjoy this stuff as well as the challenge... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I’d just run multiple Cat6 to your closet, and to the location of your primary TV. Depending on your dwelling, and wishes, the installer may use any of a number of devices:

• An ONT and separate router connected by Ethernet 
  • A combined ONT and router, plus a Wi-Fi 6 device
  • Sometimes other combinations of devices 

Until the installer arrives, it is unknown which option will be installed. If you can save the installer time by having cable installed, more can be done to meet your wishes. Usually the PVR is best installed with a wired connection to the router.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

The attic is probably not the best location for your router for WiFi coverage. The centre of the house on the middle floor is best. If you are installing a mesh network then that's a different story and I would recommend running ethernet cable to your mesh node locations as well.

Dougie65
Friendly Neighbour
Sorry I should never have mentioned the attic as nothing will be installed there. The attic is where I’m running the Cat6, then to a central closet. I mentioned attic only b/c that’s the route to go for all my networking dreams to come true. I’ll feed data cable back up from a switch in closet then to all the rooms for TV’s, etc. I’m unclear what gear will work with Optik TV. So many more questions. I’m having a heck of a time drilling inside walls to run up to the attic. There’s 16” in one hole I bored through wall plates and a joist, with 120 volt wire in the middle. No wander folks use Cat6 outdoor cable!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad

xray
Hero

Ah, got it. I hope you are using cable rated for in-wall use. Outdoor cable isn't necessarily the same as it has more to do with being waterproof that being fire resistant.

Dougie65
Friendly Neighbour
Yes sir, as far as I know it’s Southwire Cat6 type cmt riser cable. It’s not the best quality but unless I go shielded or Cat6a it’s probably fine for residential use. I’m not using outdoor rated cable - just mentioned it because that’s what an electrician I got a quote from suggested he would do rather than drill inside walls. I am running Cat6 above garage along ceiling to an interior wall then up to the attic. I’m using 3/4” emt conduit as that’s the commercial standard. Emt is horrendous in price but I got it from a wholesaler. I suck at bending 3/4” emt though. Keep kinking the 90 degree bends and air bending saddles, wow, you need to be a gorilla!

Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPad