cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just upgraded to PureFibre X - When will Wifi 7 or even 6e hardware?

mast3rwa
Neighbour

Full disclosure I am a complete hardware nerd. I just upgraded to Purefibre X 3gbps. This is more of a rant than anything.

Amazing speeds working great for me on the single computer in my house, but this is because I have my single computer with a 10gbps NIC hard wired with 100ft cat6 into the 10gbps port on my Telus modem, and all 3 of my Telus wifi 6 boosters hard wired

It was a $15 per month add on from my previous 1gbps connection, but I am questioning is this even worth the upgrade for only 1 of the devices in my house. If Telus is the undisputed leader with the most modern solutions, shouldn't they offer an end to end solution which includes the latest wifi hardware to fully realize the service level they are offering? There is no way the average household will see the full benefits of anything over the 1gbps package. 

For 2024 we are seeing vendors release wifi 7 hardware which gets things closer to the 3gbps speed over wireless. Telus doesn't even have hard wired wifi 6e devices (according to the install tech, they did previously but walked it back and now only offer wifi 6). Feels like it will be years until we see Telus catch up on this side of things.

Telus when can we expect you to have hardware that actually supports the service packages you are selling?

1 REPLY 1

BubblyCharizard
Organizer

you could always use your own 10GB router/wifi solution

ubiquiti has a few, but not very cheap, not sure if your SFP+ module will work with UI gear, you might need a copper to SFP+ transceiver for the 10GB uplink to the modem

I have gigabit and use a UDM pro with a wifi 7 AP, but you would likely also need a 10GB switch