cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a phone jack

48ford
Organizer

Hi All;

Does anyone know if I can add a phone jack for a security system dialer without affecting the Optik tv?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if your phone Lin’s is still carried on copper; less likely if your phone is on Fibre.

Telus now offers home security if you wish the service. It is cellular connected, so not needing a phone line.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, if your phone Lin’s is still carried on copper; less likely if your phone is on Fibre.

Telus now offers home security if you wish the service. It is cellular connected, so not needing a phone line.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

The security system phone line needs to be wired in parallel to the connection to the modem and in between the distribution to the other phone jacks in the house. The security system needs to be able to cut off regular phone calls when it needs to call the monitoring company.

|--- Alarm System --- phone lines

---- line to house ---|

|--- Modem

You could wire it like a regular phone but that means the system won't be able to call the monitoring company if someone is on the phone or if the phone is off the hook.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The other issue will be if there is a POTS splitter wired in to the line, which is common for Telus to use for copper connections. Whoever installs the phone jack will need to know how to deal with that.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

This is a self monitored system. So I could put a splitter on the back of the T3200M and drop a line to the alarm box?

Also we have 4K if that is important.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@48ford wrote:

This is a self monitored system. So I could put a splitter on the back of the T3200M and drop a line to the alarm box?

I would recommend against that. That could interfere with the modem's connection. There should be a POTS splitter somewhere wired in that isolates the modem from the rest of the phone jacks. It's usually near where the phone line comes into the house. if you had a splitter on the line to the rest of the phone jacks, that should work depending on which POTS splitter they installed. There are two types:

Blue splitterWhite Splitter

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Back again!

How about a splitter on a phone line (only have 3) and down to the alarm?Smiley Frustrated

That configuration will work but be aware that if someone calls your house just before the alarm is triggered you won't get a phone call from the security system.