cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOD Content for Free Preview Channels

BobArthur
Ambassador

Right now the CTV Specialty channels ( Life, Drama, Comedy and Sci-Fi ) are on a free preview until January 9th. Since I already subscribe to theme packs that contain the CTV Life and CTV Drama channels my question is concerning the other 2 channels. As of right now both the CTV Comedy and CTV Sci-Fi channels are coming through for me on my TV but the problem is in the VOD section. Both channels are still showing the $ sign in the " subscription options " button which means that I would still need to subscribe to these channels in order to watching anything on VOD. The last time CTV made these channels available on a free preview I was definitely able to access the VOD content for both CTV Comedy and CTV Sci-Fi. So my question is this - was the decision not to make the VOD content actually made by CTV or is this some sort of glitch on Telus's end ????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @BobArthur , Happy Birthday! Hope you have a good one! 

Our content team confirmed that free previews along with VOD permissions are dependent on the provider. Some of the VOD Content may be unavailable even though the channels are available for free preview because we do not have the rights, or we were not given the rights. In the case of CTV, we were not supplied rights for VOD, preview was only for the linear channel. The content team also mentioned it's a case-by-case situation, so if you run into future preview channels with no access to VOD, let us know, and we can run a check just to make sure. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

BobArthur
Ambassador

So can a MOD please confirm whether or not we are supposed to have access to the VOD content for these CTV specialty channels during this current free preview.

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'll have to find out from our content prime. As they're away until the new year, I'll keep you posted when I hear back 🙂

BobArthur
Ambassador

Thanks Dru. I sent a message to CTV about this issue but they responded as if I was asking about trying to access the VOD content on my phone or computer. I clarified my question about trying to access the VOD content on my TV so I should hear back again from them soon.

BobArthur
Ambassador

So I finally got a response back from CTV and they are telling me that the VOD content for all of the CTV specialty channels that are currently on a free preview should definitely be available. Here is the message I received:

Hello Bob,

Thank you for contacting CTV.

Since these channels are currently on a free preview the VOD content should also be available too. You mentioned that your are subscribed through Telus TV provider with their set top box (Optik 4K box). We would like to help you with troubleshooting steps, however since you are using a set top box from your TV provider, we don't have the right resources to give the proper resolution.

Kindly contact your TV provider - Telus, to help you fix the issue on your VOD page and be able to watch these shows on your TV.

If you require any assistance, please reply to this email or visit our website www.ctv.ca.

Sincerely,

Ronn Quiambao

Customer Care Representative

Since the preview ends on the 9th ( which is also my birthday - cash and gift cards will gladly be accepted 😁 ) I hope Telus makes the VOD content available ASAP.

ISJ
Friendly Neighbour

I believe that the free previews are carried on a different channel. i.e. instead of tuning in Sci Fi channel, you tune in channel 392. The channels can be found on the https://www.telus.com/en/tv/what-to-watch/free-content and they are simulcast, not on demand. 

BobArthur
Ambassador

ISJ - thanks for the response but I already knew that. I have placed both shows I would like to watch ( Season 4 of Tacoma FD from CTV Comedy and Season 4 of Star Trek: Lower Decks from CTV Sci-Fi ) in the " My Videos " list in  the VOD section but they both still show the $ symbol which indicates that a subscription is needed.

EDIT: I just checked again and Season 4 of Tacoma FD has now been removed from the CTV Comedy VOD section and is now on the Crave VOD section so at least now I can watch that show. 

ISJ
Friendly Neighbour

The VOD for the two channels you find comes from your subscription, NOT the free preview. There is, as I understand it, no VOD for the preview. It is entirely on air. 

BobArthur
Ambassador

OK - now I see what you're getting at. While it does happen occasionally almost every time a channel is on a free preview the VOD content is also available. Like right now I can access the VOD content for Hollywood Suite as part of its free preview. Besides - I posted an e-mail from a CTV Customer Care Representative that confirms the VOD content for their specialty channels should be available. At this point I have no doubt the problem is coming from Telus's end so hopefully it gets fixed soon.

ISJ
Friendly Neighbour

Not sure that it is related. Telus gives free VOD content on some things like Hollywood Suite regardless. Not necessarily because they are on a free preview channel. 

BobArthur
Ambassador

Hey ISJ - I'm not sure why you are still arguing the point when I posted that e-mail from a CTV representative that proves that I was right. I'm fairly sure he knows more about this situation then you or I do. But I'll play along just for kicks. I've now been with Telus just under 2 years and I have never seen VOD content suddenly become available for a channel unless that channel is now part of a free preview. Sure Telus will occasionally make an episode or 2 of certain shows available via VOD but not the entire channel's VOD library. So let's just wait until somebody from Telus fixes this situation.

BobArthur
Ambassador

Dru - any update yet ???? The free preview is over in less than a week so I would like to see this fixed ASAP.

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

I haven't heard back yet but if I do, I'll update you here. 

BobArthur
Ambassador

Thanks again Dru - I really do appreciate you keeping us in the loop. 👍

BobArthur
Ambassador

Wow - it still has not been fixed yet. At this point I get the feeling that nothing will happen at all since the free preview ends on the 9th. Not a good job by Telus here. 😩

ISJ
Friendly Neighbour

Convinced yet? 

https://www.telus.com/en/tv/what-to-watch/free-content. 

Note that 'free preview' says "Catch them while you can", ie. in real time. It says nothing about the on demand option.

"Free community content" has "Access through the On Demand button"

I suspect the tech support guy was confused about what you were asking. 

So. yes. Noting will happen, as I pointed out long ago. The point of this message board is to get the experience of other viewers. Niche Wahr? Too bad you missed the simulcast previews now.

And don't bohter telling me I'm wrong because you know better.. I go by what works in reality. Which is not VOD for preview channels.

Wow - is it possible to block certain people from posting in certain threads ??? Tell me something ISJ - were you born a smug jerk or did you just work really hard at it growing up. As for the CTV rep being confused by my question - it's kind of hard being confused by " are we supposed to be getting the VOD content along with the CTV specialty channels that are currently on a free preview ". If this was so obvious then why didn't somebody from Telus just tell me that up front. Oh wait I forgot - you know more than the reps from Telus and CTV. Anyway - I'm done butting heads with somebody so pompous. Now just go away and clog up other threads with your crap. 👎

By the way Einstein - the link you left was for various free previews that were from February - May 2023. What a shocking mistake for somebody so smart. 

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @BobArthur , Happy Birthday! Hope you have a good one! 

Our content team confirmed that free previews along with VOD permissions are dependent on the provider. Some of the VOD Content may be unavailable even though the channels are available for free preview because we do not have the rights, or we were not given the rights. In the case of CTV, we were not supplied rights for VOD, preview was only for the linear channel. The content team also mentioned it's a case-by-case situation, so if you run into future preview channels with no access to VOD, let us know, and we can run a check just to make sure. 

ISJ
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks Kate. That clarifies the point. I suppose that CTV doesn't include VOD rights very often as I have never seen VOD for any CTV free preview channel in four years with Telus. But that it could happen is good information.

BobArthur
Ambassador

Thanks Kate for clearing that up. I guess the CTV rep that I was dealing with was completely wrong but I will say this - I'm almost completely sure that the last time CTV had a free preview for their specialty channels that the VOD content was also available. I honestly can't remember the last time ( if ever )  as a Telus customer that a channel was on a free preview and their VOD content ( if any available ) was not included as part of the free preview.

ISF - I will admit that I came down a bit hard on you in my last post but hopefully you realize that I was just reacting ( probably overreacting ) to what I considered to be a very condescending tone on your part. Still I obviously lost my head for a brief time so for that I will apologize. Hopefully there are no hard feelings.

ISJ
Friendly Neighbour

No Huhu. 

As a software engineer, I know the many ways that communications and systems go awry. 

And I long ago grew a thick skin.  But please be more polite and communicative. it can pay off.