cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik Evolution & TelusTV-21T or new AndroidTV boxes

Rocky3
Rockstar

Is the Optik Evolution & TelusTV-21T (as marked on tuner box) the same animal? I think so, just that only heard Evolution on this forum.

Can this forum ADD Evoultion as a sub catagory so that users can post questions for there TelusTV in the correct place.?

12 REPLIES 12

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There isn't actually a product called Optik Evolution. Everything is just called Optik TV at present even though on the new AndroidTV boxes and on iOS the app itself is called 'Telus TV+'. I'm guessing at some point Telus is going to split the branding and just stick with one or the other.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Rocky3
Rockstar

Thanks for reply.

The current box was introduced in February 2023. Yet there is no separate section causing users and gurus to answering questions on the old system which has different operation. The current remote for instance has less buttons requiring short and long presses to accomplish different tasks. The menu of settings does not have personalization. Why do I have to choose favorites for the guide each time I turn it on as it defaults to subscribed?

Telus tech phone and chat do not know the differences. I use TelusTV-21T since that is printed on the tuner box. 

Rocky3
Rockstar

Is the newest system going to get a separate Q&A forum?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Considering it's replacing Optik, I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to take over the existing forum.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Rocky3
Rockstar

AI sent me an email today

Topic: Optik Evolution & TelusTV-21T or new AndroidTV boxes
Date: 09-24-2023 11:23 PM

Did it solve your problem?

Click here to view the replies and mark one as an Accepted Solution.

This helps others find helpful answers in the community too!

WHEN the post #1 question is answered with a sub thread created for the new optik TV, then and only then will my question be answered. Heck, there is not even one name for the new system.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Rocky3 

Hopefully the following helps:

TELUS currently has 4 entertainment/TV products: Optik TV, Pik TV, Satellite TV and Stream+. Optik TV is the flagship product, Pik TV and Satellite TV are no longer offered to new customers, and Stream+ is a bundle of 3 streaming services.

In February of 2023, TELUS launched the next generation of Optik TV for new customers and it is based on a new back-end platform. The marketing campaigns refer to the 'New' Optik TV and some front-line sales reps call it 'Evolution' though 'Evolution' isn't meant to be a customer-facing name. The product is still Optik TV.

ALL Optik TV and Pik TV customers can access the TELUS TV+ apps for iOS, tvOS, Android mobile and Android TV, and these apps are all based on the new platform regardless of what equipment is in your home. The 'legacy' 4K PVRs and Wireless Digital Boxes are based on the legacy platform and the TELUS TV-21T (next generation digital box built on the Android TV platform with a built-in TELUS TV+ app) is based on the new platform.

So, both new and legacy customers could have questions/require troubleshooting on the new or old platform, and they all subscribe to Optik TV, so there is currently one forum for all Optik TV enquiries. 

If you are looking for troubleshooting/help on this forum, my recommendation would be to include the app and/or device/model/operating system that you are encountering an issue on. Some examples could be 'I can't see 4K channels on my TELUS TV+ app for iPhone/iOS' or 'CBC News Network is stuttering on my Optik 4K Wireless Digital Box/Arris VIP5602' or 'Can I order Pay Per View on my TELUS TV Digital Box/TELUSTV-21T'. This will help folks understand how they can help.

It must be hard to understand my request

While ALL customers regardless of platform access the same TV, the remotes are different, the access modes are different and therefore guidance is given on the old Optik for the New Gen Optik 

LOOK AT this link https://forum.telus.com/t5/Optik-TV-Pik-TV/ct-p/Home_Services 

you have a choice of OpticTV or PIK sub forum. How hard is it to give the new gen a sub forum.

Telus tech have given me instructions for previous Optik which is NOT the same for the new gen

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Rocky3 

Not all customers use a TELUS-supplied set-top box, so splitting things up on this forum that way isn't clean. If your problem is with your Apple TV app, it could apply to folks on both the old platform AND the new platform; and it's all Optik TV.   

This is why i'd suggest when talking with tech support (or asking for help here) that you start by identifying what device the issue is with. As with anything, human error is always possible.

As a new customer, how would I know what equipement I have. Have you read the ttile of this thread. Sorry but you do not know what you are talking about. Did I ever mention AppleTV on this forum. The problem is you are giving answers that you are told to give. If it is all Optik TV, then fine, name it 2022 Optik and 2023 Optik. If you have a clue what I am saying reply otherwise bug out.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Rocky3 

No one is telling me what to respond - I'm just trying to help explain. After this, I'll bug out.  

As for how you would know what equipment you have, there are a few ways:

1. Look on the underside of your equipment for a model#

2. Check your bill - any equipment rentals will be on there - it should appear as TELUS TV Digital Box Rental - Optik TV

3. You can look at your devices in the TELUS Connect app - they appear as TELUS TV Digital Box

TELUS TV Digital Box (name) and TELUSTV-21T (model) should both be well known reference points for technical support agents.

Have a great weekend!

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KHR works on the product team and is a subject matter expert on the TV product line. Their question relating to Apple TV was to illustrate support forum best practices to not confuse the product line. With time, and ideally, there won't be much differentiation other than how one chooses to watch the content so there is no forseeable need to create another sub-board. 

That said, @Rocky3, please review our community house rules and refrain from the hostile tone. We take pride in fostering a respectful environment for all members. Everyone is doing the best that they can to understand and help. 

Rocky3
Rockstar

@KHR 

From the opening post

"Is the Optik Evolution & TelusTV-21T (as marked on tuner box) the same animal?"

See, I know what I have. But I did not know what others had. I did not know what I have was introduced Feb 2023. So far not a credible answer for why the new gen and old model, totally different operationally are not discussed separately.

Two separate Telus techs I talked with and their supervisors became educated that the answers they were giving was for the old Optik. I even went into the Telus store and could not purchase a 2nd remote, they had not seen it yet.

It is not about what is on the screen, so far we all have the same channels to watch.