cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New digital box quality and color issue

imix
Friendly Neighbour
Noticed the quality is horrible unless manually switched to 1080p ot 1080i. The color space always use bt2020 instead of rec709 no matter what settings are changed to from the box and on the tv itself. Happened on every tv I owned , 2 oleds amd 2 Leds.
8 REPLIES 8

viperdiablo1
Advisor
Not sure if it the cause of your issue. But telus really needs to have match dynamic range setting. The box is always in HDR mode when used with HDR compatible tvs. Even when the content is SDR. Not sure why this hasn’t been addressed. Most newer tvs have HDR. The telus box is still on android version 10 I believe . Not sure if that effects what settings get added.

@viperdiablo1 I’ve noticed this when trying to connect the box to a tv that isn’t 4K. I kept getting an error from the TV that said video format not supported. I had to go to my 4K tv, do the set up and then manually select 1080p. I found that rather ridiculous, shouldn’t the box have known the tv I was using wasn’t 4K?

imix
Friendly Neighbour
Yes so ridiculous. Hopefully they will have these issues resolved soon.

So there’s no “auto” option?

imix
Friendly Neighbour
No there isn't. Only auto for resolution but still it still defaults to 4k even if the content is non 4k

imix
Friendly Neighbour
Totally agree. Not sure why their engineering teams are not on top of this. Literally every other android device out there match the dynamic range setting. The telus box is still always forced onto HDR and bt2020 color space.

I agree with all the posts here. Is there anyone at Telus that can comment on HDR being on all the time? Is there any update on when Match dynamic range will be implemented? I think this should be near the top of the to do list for telus.

Similar boxes used by other companies that use similar boxes also have this problem from my research. I had to buy an edid detector fix device (wasnt the 140 dollar edid doctor one, I was not willing to pay that much for this problem). 

The shield which runs the same android OS has match dynamic range, so does apple tv, either telus needs to figure it out or tell the manufacturer of these boxes (think its technicolor?) to fix this, whoever is responsible.