cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we stop the auto-start?

Shelley99
Organizer

1) I go to the Telus & a PVR menu screen when I turn the TV off, yet still when I turn the TV back on, it goes to a current channel & starts playing it. Unless I pause that & exit out, it continually plays in the background while I’m trying to select & watch what I want. It is so annoying & distracting, all this yapping going on in the background. We really hate this auto-start force-fed stuff.  Sometimes you have to fight your way back to the show that is running in order to get rid of it. Why suddenly this auto-start in your face stuff. What can I do to stop this so I can turn on the TV, it’s quiet, & I can quietly click around & decide what I want to watch?

2) When watching an On Demand show, if you pause the show & exit out to watch another show in Demand, as you look around, suddenly your “other” show starts up & starts rolling along in the background. So you have to exit from where you are, go find the “other” show, pause it & go back to searching, only to have it auto-start again in the background. Again, how do we stop this super annoying Telus app from taking over the TV & automatically starting programs we are not watching or no longer watching.

All this auto-start stuff just started about a week ago. Did Telus update their app….to this annoyance? Why can’t they just simply leave it alone & leave the start-pause-stop controls in the hands of the user? How do we get around this?

16 REPLIES 16

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Shelley99 Which box are you using? The latest TELUS TV Digital box or one of the older 4K PVRs? For the 4K PVRS, to disable it, while it is on the screen press the OPTIONS button on your remote and set the Display automatically option to OFF. 

Thank you Kate. How wonderful to find someone from Telus who knows their stuff. I am still trying to work this solution, more often than not the show auto-starts in the background while you are navigating to another show/channel.

I have another quick question, I hope I’m not being a pain in the butt. How do you stop another auto-start issue; when you are playing a PVR’d show and you pause it, after 5 or 10 mins if you can’t return right away, the show resumes.

You can get back to the TV after being called away to find half the show has played through even though you paused it. Not sure why it would auto-start if obviously you’ve paused it and have left the room, but is there a way to disable this feature?

Thank you so much.

Shelley Soden

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, Shelley! I'm a Community Manager here and I'm going to send you a private message to gather some info for this issue. Look out for it!

Hi @Shelley99, for live streams there is a feature that allows you to pause the playback for up to 15 mins and then it will auto-resume. However, this is for the new platform TELUS TV digital boxes. For the older 4K boxes, the live stream can be paused for up to 90 minutes before it auto-plays. I'm curious to know what type of boxes you have.  (A-B will reach out to verify your account)

If you know you will be away for an extended period, you can pre-set a recording so you don't miss the episode. 

Hi there,

The Telus PVR box is 4K model VIP5662W.

Shelley Soden

Sent from my iPad

Thanks for the additional information! In this case, your live streams can be paused for up to 90 minutes before it begin to auto-play . If you know you will be away for longer than that, you can start a recording immediately for the show you're watching.  Hope that helps!

Hi there,

So then - why does it start up again after 10-15 minutes and how do I get it to pause for the 90 minutes? I’ve always had this same complaint with every PVR we’ve ever had, they used to start after paused for 5 mins, now it’s slightly longer but not much. We’ve had a replacement PVR every 3 or so years.

How do I get to 90 minutes? (And I still don’t see the logic in having it start up at all if you’ve asked it to pause….but I’m guessing that’s a mystery we’ll never solve).

Thanks for the help.

Shelley

Sent from my iPad

Hi @Shelley99 , I didn't realize the box isn't pausing for 90 minutes. I'm taking this back to the team to investigate further. Thank you for flagging. 

Susan9
Friendly Neighbour
Hi Kate - We have the exact same issue as Shelley’s first one. How do you stop the channel playing in the background on the Home Screen every time we turn on the tv. It assaults both your ears and your eyes. We are finding so many basic features missing from the optik tv but this one is so annoying. We have just switched over to Telus this month so have one of the latest digital boxes.

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Susan9 

The last channel you were watching playing in the background (or even the TV defaulting directly to the last channel you were watching) is feedback that we've gotten from a lot of customers; there is no way to turn this off currently.

Do you have a preference as to what would appear when turning the TV on (no promises, just trying to understand)? 

Susan9
Friendly Neighbour
Would prefer to see nothing. There is a lot going on on that screen - so just a dark background or something. Nothing too busy

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Susan9
Friendly Neighbour
Or lay a preview from whatever icon is selected. This is what Netflix does.

Sent from my iPhone

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Susan9 

Thanks for the feedback, i'll pass it along. You may prefer the TELUS TV+ app for Apple TV - this does not have video or audio playing in the background while you're browsing around, it simply displays poster art for the show that is highlighted.

Susan9
Friendly Neighbour
We have the exact same issue as your first one. How do you stop the channel playing in the background on the Home Screen every time we turn on the tv. It assaults both your ears and your eyes. So many features missing from the optik tv but this one is so annoying. We have just switched over to Telus this month so have one of the latest digital boxes.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'll definitely pass this feedback off to our Optik development team. With a feature such as this it can be tricky, as some customers don't want it while others do.

Susan9
Friendly Neighbour
Sent from my iPad