cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home page when opening TV

Lammindy
Friendly Neighbour
I recently switched my grandparents over from ShawTV. Previously, we would open the tv and it would resume the same channel from when we closed it. Now with Telus we’re getting a lot of pop ups saying to login to google and it’s showing a home page with all the apps. My grandparents are in their 90s and are not good with technology. How can I fix this so that they don’t need to navigate a home page.
14 REPLIES 14

Rocky3
Rockstar

you cannot. There are several threads about this and we are told they are working on changing it the way you would prefer. Show grandparents how to bypass is all you can do now.

MrSL
Leader

Hi @Lammindy currently your only option to Dismiss the homepage screen is by holding down the 

MrSL_0-1709492240433.png arrow button.

According to Telus in their Features Update thread; Q1 2024 (WIP): Default focus on home - requiring only one click of the “back” button to return to the last watched stream

Hope this helps! 😉

Lammindy
Friendly Neighbour
Hi thanks for your reply!
So I tried going “back” but nothing happened. I had to go into apps > live tv with the tv remote.
Is the arrow button you attached on the Telus remote or my tv remote??

What tuner box do you have? The TelusTV-21T

Does your remote have an OK in a circle, with home (house symbol) top left of it, the go back arrow bottom left, guide bottom right?

Lammindy
Friendly Neighbour
Ya that sounds right. I tried the bottom left of the circle which was the go back button. Not sure why not nothing happens when I press it. It stays on the home page.

Hi @Lammindy so the 'back button' is on the remote control supplied with the Telus TV box. This is the button you need to press.

remote.jpg

Apologies if the graphic doesn't appear for a while. Seems to have been some Forum changes with regard to users posting graphics @A-B 

In the interim, if you go to this page: https://www.telus.com/en/tv/4k-pvr-and-wireless-digital-box?linkname=Hardware&linktype=ge-meganav and scroll down to "Voice control and universal search" - if this is your remote, then the 'back button' is to the immediate left of the 'guide' button, just underneath the double circle...

Hope this helps! 😉

Pressing the 'back button' should clear the screen and just display the current TV channel...

If this doesn't happen then (I'm assuming you have the TelusTV-21T cloud recording box) you could try a system update...

Press: Home > Settings > Device Preferences > About > System Update.

I am assuming your remote control works okay? You are able to select the guide, programs etc with the set top box remote... If not then checkout this page: https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/optik-tv-remote-not-working?intcmp=tcom_personal_search_1_p...

Hope this helps! 😉

Lammindy
Friendly Neighbour
The page that opens by default is shows show/movie recommendations and apps. I think back doesn’t work because the tv doesn’t recall what the last app was. So it starts back at the home page.

Yes the remote works! I do think I have that box, I will try the system update - thanks!

Rocky3
Rockstar

Back should clear it and pressing guide should replace it

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Lammindy , just wanted to add that if you press the back button it will dismiss the home screen and the screen will play back any content that was last played. For example, if you played live TV, then it will tune into the last channel played, but if you played a movie/VOD last, then it will play the movie/VOD! 

Lammindy
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks Kate, yes I think theoretically that’s what should be happening but even when we press back it stays on the home page.
I did find this link though and it has an option to disable the home page? https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/optik-tv-home-screen-feature

The home screen disablement is for the older boxes on a different platform. For the new TELUS TV digital box the feature is still in development. For now, the workaround is dismissing the home screen via the back button on the remote. Can you try holding down the back button? I'm thinking perhaps the box hasn't been updated, so you'd need to press and hold the back button for dismissal. 

Lammindy
Friendly Neighbour
Hi Kate, just wondering is there anyway to get an older model of the box so that we can fix this issue. the back button works now thanks.

Now we’re having issues w “low or no signal”

Hi @Lammindy , I'll share my colleague's response regarding the support for legacy boxes. https://forum.telus.com/t5/Optik-TV/Potential-new-customer-what-are-options-for-TV-boxes/m-p/146708#...