cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv setup

Gu
Just Moved In
I already have a TELUS account with optik TV However I am developing my basement and will have a TV down there. Do I need to have TELUS set anything up ? Any cables or wiring that I will need going to that TV area ? Other than regular electrical outlets.
2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you are developing your basement, I would recommend running ethernet (Cat5e or Cat6) everywhere down there. Run a line to each room you think you may ever need a network connection in. It's easier to do now when developing a basement than once it's finished. The wiring in your home is your property so if Telus comes out to run wires, they'll charge you for it, assuming a tech will even go out because of Covid19. 

If you are unsure how to run the cables, here is a guide you can use: https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/wiring-home-network/

If you need to buy ethernet cables or supplies, PrimeCables is in Canada and has decent prices for the wiring and tools you'll likely need.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'll add to @Nighthawk 's comment and state you may as well run 2 ethernet cables to each location. The cost of the cable is small, but having the ability to run 2 networks, or an 'out and back' setup is well worth the cost. There are many folk who wish a second cable had been run to their living room or home office, for instance.

I ran 2 to the location of my TV: one for Optik, and one for everything else.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"