cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting via internet computer

carilchasens
Neighbour

My home is in an area that has no cell service.  Is there anyway I can send and receive text messages via internet computer using my mobility number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WiFi calling would deliver all your voice calls and SMS over your WiFi connection. This would work around the fact that you don't have a cell signal at home.

Enabling RSC on you phone will deliver SMS messages over WiFi if the sender and recipient both have RSC capabilities. If not then you need a cell connection.

Sending and receiving SMS from your computer is a different thing all together. Android phones using Google Messages can do this if you set it up (see link I previously posted). I don't know if other phones have this capability, you will have to do the research.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero

Depending on your model of phone you may be able to use RCS (Chat). There have been numerous discussion on this here. Do a search on RCS.

If you are using Android this is an option as well:

https://support.google.com/messages/answer/7611075?hl=en

A third option is to get WiFi calling working on your phone. Again, it depends on your model of phone.

@xraywould WIFIcalling allow me to receive as well as send?

carilchasens
Neighbour

It would be particularly convenient if I could receive text messages via my computer, that are sent to my phone number. Is there any way?

WiFi calling would deliver all your voice calls and SMS over your WiFi connection. This would work around the fact that you don't have a cell signal at home.

Enabling RSC on you phone will deliver SMS messages over WiFi if the sender and recipient both have RSC capabilities. If not then you need a cell connection.

Sending and receiving SMS from your computer is a different thing all together. Android phones using Google Messages can do this if you set it up (see link I previously posted). I don't know if other phones have this capability, you will have to do the research.

The first problem that you have stated is that you have no cell service.  In order for SMS messages to send and receive (not imessage but the SMS texts" you absolutely need to have the phone hooked up to the mobile network, and the way to do that is to have the phone connect via wifi calling.

The second issue you've raised is about texting using a computer.  This is ONLY going to work if you have the cell phone running and connected.  If you have an Android phone, you can get this working on a windows computer.  If you have an iPhone, you're going to have to use a Mac.  Every phone doesn't play nice with every computer...

I hope that is helpful for you.

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

Not that it will likely be much help, but you can send and receive texts between an iPhone and a Mac as well. Both SMS and iMessage.