cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges Even with Cellular Turned Off

draff12
Neighbour

Need help. I'm currently in Thailand on a 45 day trip. I've had my cellular turned off since I boarded my flight in Vancouver but I just received my latest mobility bill via email. They charged me a $180 fee for Easy Roam (17 days). I was under the impression that turning off the cellular / roaming would keep me from getting charged. Anyone have any input on this situation?

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There have been many complaints of phones leaking to the local data network. Even a few bytes can trigger an Easy Roam bill. Use of Airplane mode, or removing the SIM until you need it should stop the leakage.

You should be receiving SMS indicating you have triggered Easy Roam each day.

*IF* your data use is truly tiny, you can contact Telus, and see if they can reverse the fees. I suggest their Twitter @TELUSSupport or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/telus for help.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yes, I thought I would receive some kind of notification each day that I was being charged for EasyRoam but I only received one text. That was the day I landed in Thailand....nothing since then. I tried to put my phone on Airplane mode but my texts weren't going through. I will definitely be contacting Telus to see if they can reverse the fees. 

Thanks for your help.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you were sending texts, that would trigger Easy Roam, unless using iPhone, Messages, and connected to Wi-Fi.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I can only text while connected to wifi so that can't be it.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you received a text about roaming when you first got to Thailand, your phone had cellular enabled at least at that point. When I was overseas I SIM locked my iPhone before I landed. Absolute guarantee against accidentally turning off airplane mode and using any cellular data or receiving any SMS or calls. Just don't forget the code you set when locking the SIM.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂