cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting OpenVPN

ChrisYEG
Just Moved In

Hello, I am new to Telus and was hoping to get some help with a problem with my OpenVPN server that started when I changed ISP.

I have an OpenVPN server setup on a Raspberry Pi. It is set to port 1194. I have a the same port forwarded on my router. (Using UDP). I am using a DDNS service to forward to the public IP. I have updated the DDNS manually and through the service on my router (currently a UDM Pro, previously a Linksys EA9300). I am unable to connect to my VPN, with the error Unable to establish a connection. 

I have my modem bridged to port 1. I have noticed that the public IP that I get when checked through my router is different than if I plug my computer directly into the modem. Updating the ddns to either one doesn't work. This problem started with the changeover to Telus and needless to say the tech support people, who are very friendly, were unable to help. So I am here looking to see if any fine individuals can help me sort this out. Does Telus issue public IP's that aren't accessible or do they block certain ports? (I scanned my IP and I can't find my OpenVPN or Plex open ports).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

Good day...

A couple of things come to mind here, first you need to have the OpenVPN (If using 1194) port  forwarded to the Raspberry Pi. On your controller > Settings > Routing & Firewall > Port Forwarding.

Odds are all your devices have changed IP addresses after your upgrade from the Linksys router to the UDM Pro. So anything that may have had a static IP may not match or work on the new configuration.

The other consideration may be that you have a change in your network addressing. Make sure that your OpenVPN config files match your current IP structure.

The other thing may be to look at installing Wireguard, seems to work better than OpenVPN in my humble opinion. Have it working on my system with out a hitch with similar equipment.

One of the better Wireguard install videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpIOSbbvKk

View solution in original post

WireGuard is an application that can turn your Raspberry Pi into a full VPN Server. This tutorial will guide you through the entire installation and configuration process to ensure your VPN is setup properly! ✅ Written Instructions: ...
3 REPLIES 3

xray
Hero

If you are bridged on port 1 of the Telus router then you need to port forward from your router to your VPN server. Port forwarding settings on the Telus router won't work since traffic on the bridged port never goes through the Telus router. Any devices you have on the Telus router will be on a different LAN than the devices on your router.

linuxgeek
Coach

Tell me what is the public IP address on the router and the public ip address on the modem, as you said they are not the same when you do the test.

DrPacman
Rockstar

Good day...

A couple of things come to mind here, first you need to have the OpenVPN (If using 1194) port  forwarded to the Raspberry Pi. On your controller > Settings > Routing & Firewall > Port Forwarding.

Odds are all your devices have changed IP addresses after your upgrade from the Linksys router to the UDM Pro. So anything that may have had a static IP may not match or work on the new configuration.

The other consideration may be that you have a change in your network addressing. Make sure that your OpenVPN config files match your current IP structure.

The other thing may be to look at installing Wireguard, seems to work better than OpenVPN in my humble opinion. Have it working on my system with out a hitch with similar equipment.

One of the better Wireguard install videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpIOSbbvKk

WireGuard is an application that can turn your Raspberry Pi into a full VPN Server. This tutorial will guide you through the entire installation and configuration process to ensure your VPN is setup properly! ✅ Written Instructions: ...