cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling of internet?

GuyFromVI
Organizer

Was thinking about changing my home internet from a set monthly data cap to unlimited. Does Telus throttle internet speed at a certain point when you have unlimited? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The info I posted was for home internet plans. No, they aren't throttled.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For home internet plans, no. Additional data is charged automatically up to a cap. All new two year plans for fibre currently appear to include unlimited data and then a 1TB cap after the two years ends, if a new plan isn't acquired. You can also add unlimited data to any fibre plan outside of a contract for a fee.

From: https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/purefibre-overage-charges-explained

Additional Internet usage rates

If you exceed your monthly usage allowance, we will automatically provide you with additional data buckets of 50GB as needed. Our charges for additional data are among the lowest in Canada:
  • 0-50 GB: $10
  • 50.01-100 GB: $20
  • 100.01-150 GB: $30
  • 150.01-200 GB: $45
  • 200.01 GB and more: $55
  • Monthly maximum: $55
Any unused portion of your last data bucket will expire at the end of your billing cycle. Your data usage will be reset to zero and your regular monthly usage allowance will apply.

You can also subscribe to unlimited Internet data for $20 per month.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Sorry, I should have been specific. I'm talking about home internet speeds.

Thank you for the information but with the unlimited internet data, will they throttle the speed of the internet once you reach a certain data point?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The info I posted was for home internet plans. No, they aren't throttled.